Commuters at Highbury & Islington and Canonbury Stations set to be hit by Overground route closure
- Credit: Archant
An Overground line at Highbury & Islington Station will close next week.
From Saturday, 13 February to Sunday, 21 February as there will be no service running to Shadwell.
Commuters have been warned the station will be busier than normal as people take different routes.
Those who use Canonbury Station, one stop away from Highbury & Islington, will also be affected.
Transport for Rail (TfL) said the nine-day closure is to allow for “significant” work around Whitechapel to rebuild the station and create new tunnels for Crossrail services, which are due to start in 2018.
You may also want to watch:
The authority said: “While much of this work takes place without any disruption, during this period we have to close this route to allow Crossrail to prepare for the future extension of London Overground platforms at Whitechapel.
“This engineering work has been scheduled during the school holidays, in order to affect fewer customers.”
- 1 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 2 Islington shooting victim named
- 3 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 4 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 5 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 8 Big name restaurant hints at Islington opening
- 9 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
- 10 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
Customers from Highbury & Islington have been advised to take the following routes:
•For stations between Dalston Junction and Shadwell, take the London Overground to Dalston Kingsland and change for replacement buses.
•For central London, take the Victoria line from Highbury & Islington.
•For Canary Wharf and south London, take the London Overground to Stratford for the Jubilee line, and change at Canada Water for the London Overground if required.
For more information, visit https://tfl.gov.uk/status-updates/major-works-and-events/east-london-line-closure?cid=east-london-line-closure