Commuters at Highbury & Islington and Canonbury Stations set to be hit by Overground route closure
- Credit: Archant
An Overground line at Highbury & Islington Station will close next week.
From Saturday, 13 February to Sunday, 21 February as there will be no service running to Shadwell.
Commuters have been warned the station will be busier than normal as people take different routes.
Those who use Canonbury Station, one stop away from Highbury & Islington, will also be affected.
Transport for Rail (TfL) said the nine-day closure is to allow for “significant” work around Whitechapel to rebuild the station and create new tunnels for Crossrail services, which are due to start in 2018.
You may also want to watch:
The authority said: “While much of this work takes place without any disruption, during this period we have to close this route to allow Crossrail to prepare for the future extension of London Overground platforms at Whitechapel.
“This engineering work has been scheduled during the school holidays, in order to affect fewer customers.”
- 1 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 2 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 3 Consultation launches on St Peter’s people-friendly streets scheme
- 4 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 5 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 6 'We will miss you': Tufnell Park's Ruby Violet ice cream parlour to close
- 7 £1.5m revamp of Stroud Green Primary School given go-ahead
- 8 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 9 'Holborn isn't the only dangerous junction for cyclists and pedestrians'
- 10 Covid delays Finsbury Park murder suspect's bail hearing
Customers from Highbury & Islington have been advised to take the following routes:
•For stations between Dalston Junction and Shadwell, take the London Overground to Dalston Kingsland and change for replacement buses.
•For central London, take the Victoria line from Highbury & Islington.
•For Canary Wharf and south London, take the London Overground to Stratford for the Jubilee line, and change at Canada Water for the London Overground if required.
For more information, visit https://tfl.gov.uk/status-updates/major-works-and-events/east-london-line-closure?cid=east-london-line-closure