Completed King’s Cross Square is unveiled with UK’s largest gathering of street performers
- Credit: PA
The UK’s largest gathering of street performers celebrates the completion of the King’s Cross Square redevelopment.
Commuters were greeted by James Bond, Charlie Chaplin and Sherlock Holmes last week at the opening of the Euston Road station’s new public square. Some performers dressed in Victorian-themed costumes in a nod to the station’s 160 year heritage.
Network Rail has spent £550 million on modernising the station, and the new 75,000 sq ft square will provide rail users and locals with a new open space. It includes improved entrances to the Underground, two retail units, an area dedicated to public art and a lighting scheme which highlights the area’s architectural features.
The opening of the square also means the front façade of the station can now be used as the main entrance for the first time in over a century.
Matt Tolan, from Network Rail said: “King’s Cross Square joins the list of impressive and iconic public spaces our capital has to offer, and what better way to greet the first passers-by than with a celebratory performance from the Square’s first entertainers.”
You may also want to watch:
The youngest recruit amongst the street performers, Ellis Saul, 19, a former student at the London Contemporary Dance School, said: “This new open space will provide the perfect backdrop for street performers to perfect their art. As a performer, I’m always on the lookout for new locations to inspire my work and I’m already looking forward to returning to the square.”
- 1 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 2 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
- 3 Islington Council backtracks on promise to save mulberry tree
- 4 Reaction from winners of Islington by-elections
- 5 Historic pub The Cuckoo ready to welcome locals inside after refurbishment
- 6 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
- 7 Upper Street chef raises money for St Vincent volcano victims
- 8 Islington district seal victory over Camden
- 9 Man, 70, charged with murder of Imani Allaway-Muir
- 10 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'