Completed King’s Cross Square is unveiled with UK’s largest gathering of street performers
- Credit: PA
The UK’s largest gathering of street performers celebrates the completion of the King’s Cross Square redevelopment.
Commuters were greeted by James Bond, Charlie Chaplin and Sherlock Holmes last week at the opening of the Euston Road station’s new public square. Some performers dressed in Victorian-themed costumes in a nod to the station’s 160 year heritage.
Network Rail has spent £550 million on modernising the station, and the new 75,000 sq ft square will provide rail users and locals with a new open space. It includes improved entrances to the Underground, two retail units, an area dedicated to public art and a lighting scheme which highlights the area’s architectural features.
The opening of the square also means the front façade of the station can now be used as the main entrance for the first time in over a century.
Matt Tolan, from Network Rail said: “King’s Cross Square joins the list of impressive and iconic public spaces our capital has to offer, and what better way to greet the first passers-by than with a celebratory performance from the Square’s first entertainers.”
You may also want to watch:
The youngest recruit amongst the street performers, Ellis Saul, 19, a former student at the London Contemporary Dance School, said: “This new open space will provide the perfect backdrop for street performers to perfect their art. As a performer, I’m always on the lookout for new locations to inspire my work and I’m already looking forward to returning to the square.”
- 1 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 2 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 3 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 4 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 5 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 6 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 7 Emirates to reopen for Covid jabs as council looks to entice residents
- 8 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 9 Parkrun returns! Hundreds get back on track across north London
- 10 Statue in Noel-Baker Peace Garden replaced in Islington after 35 years