Controversial roamer parking scheme won’t include Arsenal match day zones
A CONTROVERSIAL new parking scheme that comes into force on Monday has been amended to exclude Arsenal match-day controlled zones.
The resident roamer scheme allows those with parking permits to use any resident bay in the borough between 11am and 3pm, Monday to Saturday.
The original proposal would have allowed residents to park in bays around the Emirates on match days, but this was changed before the scheme was rubber stamped this week.
Labour councillor Paul Smith, cabinet member for environment, said: “We sent out 26,000 letters and there were some valid suggestions which we took on board. This scheme will make people’s lives better as they can drive to see people and run errands when the bays are emptier in the middle of the day. This is a positive thing.”
But the scheme has come under fierce criticism from residents and opposition politicians, who say the council has ignored a petition of 3,000 signatures calling on them to dump the scheme in its entirety.
You may also want to watch:
John Ackers, of the campaign group Stop The Roamer, said: “The council doesn’t get the results it likes when it consults the public, so it spins the results – and then they go and say they are on the residents’ side. It’s absolutely ridiculous.”
Councillor Arthur Graves, the Liberal Democrat environmental spokesman, said: “Their arrogance is unbelievable. Why won’t they admit they’ve got it wrong? Thousands of Islington residents don’t believe this policy will work.”
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 3 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 4 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 5 New pub opens in place of The Monarch in Chalk Farm Road
- 6 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 7 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 8 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 9 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 10 Islington and Camden police chief to leave Met after 29 years