Coronavirus: 31 people die with Covid-19 in Islington care homes during pandemic
- Credit: PA
Thirty-one people have died with Covid-19 in Islington care homes as of May 8, according to newly released Office for National Statistics (ONS) data.
NHS England reports 109 coronavirus-related deaths at the Whittington Hospital as of 5pm on Monday.
In Islington, 108 people have died from all causes at care homes so far this year – and 29% of these deaths are related to Covid-19.
Whereas just 11 people (7%) have been registered as dying with Covid-19 at home in Islington as of April 8, compared with the 162 people who have died at home of all causes so far this year.
As of April 8, 93 Covid-19-linked deaths had occurred at the Whittington, which was 35% of the 263 deaths of all causes there this year.
You may also want to watch:
In the week to May 8, coronavirus-related deaths in England and Wales fell by more than a third to 3,930, making up 31.1% of all registered deaths that week.
The provisional number of deaths registered in England and Wales in the week ending May 8 was 12,657; a decrease for the third week running but 3,081 more than the five-year average.
- 1 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 2 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 3 Islington shooting victim named
- 4 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 5 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 6 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 7 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 10 Manor Gardens Welfare Trust CEO awarded British Empire Medal
Click here for a directory of agencies helping people during the pandemic.
Join our Facebook group for the latest coronavirus discussion.