Coronavirus: Police and councils step up patrols in Blackstock Road after social distancing complaints
- Credit: Archant
Police and council officers have been out in Blackstock Road to enforce social distancing after complaints groups of people were ignoring the guidelines.
Islington and Hackney council staff joined officers in the street – which serves as the border between the two boroughs - on Sunday. They were there “reminding people to keep two metres apart while shopping” and patrols have now been increased in the area.
It comes after complaints from neighbours and businesses that social distancing guidance was not being followed. Islington’s top cop Ch Supt Raj Kohli told the Gazette last month that it was one of the hotspots in the borough for people flouting the rules.
Following Sunday’s operation, Islington’s families chief Cllr Kaya Comer-Schwartz said: “In response to concerns raised by residents and local businesses, we are increasing our patrols around Blackstock Road and the surrounding area along with the Met Police and our partners in Hackney Council to provide additional support in the vicinity.
“This has included working with key community partners, like Islington’s Faith Forums, to provide advice on social distancing to members of the public and working with businesses to provide support and advice about how to manage their spaces more effectively.”
You may also want to watch:
Ch Supt Kohli said there were “as many people as usual” in Blackstock Road on March 24 despite Boris Johnson telling people to stay indoors.
- 1 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 2 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 3 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 4 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 5 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 6 The Bridge London Trust chief exec Penny Barratt awarded OBE
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
- 9 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 10 Man injured in Hornsey Rise shooting