Council wants to link south Islington ‘to the rest of London’ with cycle routes
- Credit: Archant
Islington Council is consulting on £2m plans to improve cycling routes around Finsbury and Old Street.
Town hall officials say the proposed routes will create convenient, safer and more direct journeys for cyclists along quieter roads.
The first routes being consulted on run from Finsbury Square to Lever Street, and Featherstone Street to Leonard Street. These routes will link into several other planned routes around London.
Cllr Claudia Webbe, executive member for environment and transport, said: “We are committed to making cycling as easy, convenient and safe as possible, and encouraging more of our residents to enjoy cycling regularly.
“Our vision is for an integrated cycle network that connects Islington to the rest of London and encourages more people onto two wheels, with all the health and environmental benefits that brings.
You may also want to watch:
“These routes have been proposed so cyclists can choose an alternative to congested roads such as Old Street and enjoy safer commutes along quieter streets. We would welcome the views of residents and road users on the first step towards achieving this.”
The work would be funded by a £2m Transport for London grant.
- 1 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 2 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 5 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 6 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 7 Hackney photographer captures lockdown 'park life'
- 8 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 9 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 10 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
The council is holding two drop-in sessions about the plans, both running from 11am-2pm: in Finsbury Square on February 24; and at the Promenade of Light, by the junction of Bath Street and Old Street, on March 2.
The consultation runs until March 13. For more information, visit islington.gov.uk/islingtoncycling