Country’s only music specialism school in Highbury up for big award
- Credit: Archant
The only school in the country with a “music specialism” is up for a prestigious award.
Highbury Grove School, in Highbury Grove, has been nominated for a Best Classical Music Education Initiative gong.
The Highbury school is up against heavyweight institutions like National Youth Orchestra of Great Britain and desperately need votes to win first prize.
The winner will be announced at a gala ceremony held at the Barbican Centre, in Silk Street, Finsbury, on March 20.
You may also want to watch:
A music specialism means pupils can opt to do up to four hours a week of music study and each be given their own instrument.
Much of this was made possible by a mystery donor who gave tens of thousands of pounds to help bring the joys of classical music to some of the poorest kids in the country.
- 1 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 2 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 3 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 4 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 5 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 6 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 7 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 8 Callum Chambers could be Arsenal's starting right-back
- 9 Thunder and lightning could return to London on Monday
- 10 Summer in the city: 5 Things to do in Islington this weekend
In October, the Gazette revealed that the benefactor was in fact Andrew Wolfson, on behalf of the Charles Wolfson charitable trust.
n To vote for Highbury Grove, visit http://www.classicfm.com/music-news.