Country’s only music specialism school in Highbury up for big award
- Credit: Archant
The only school in the country with a “music specialism” is up for a prestigious award.
Highbury Grove School, in Highbury Grove, has been nominated for a Best Classical Music Education Initiative gong.
The Highbury school is up against heavyweight institutions like National Youth Orchestra of Great Britain and desperately need votes to win first prize.
The winner will be announced at a gala ceremony held at the Barbican Centre, in Silk Street, Finsbury, on March 20.
You may also want to watch:
A music specialism means pupils can opt to do up to four hours a week of music study and each be given their own instrument.
Much of this was made possible by a mystery donor who gave tens of thousands of pounds to help bring the joys of classical music to some of the poorest kids in the country.
- 1 Jailed: Man who nearly killed woman in ‘random’ Islington attack
- 2 Green Lanes gang members guilty of killing which sparked tit-for-tat shooting
- 3 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 4 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 5 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 6 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 7 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 8 'Exceptional' heroes granted Islington's highest award, the 'Freedom of the Borough'
- 9 Tree wardens to be recruited on every Islington estate 'to advocate for trees'
- 10 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?
In October, the Gazette revealed that the benefactor was in fact Andrew Wolfson, on behalf of the Charles Wolfson charitable trust.
n To vote for Highbury Grove, visit http://www.classicfm.com/music-news.