Country’s only music specialism school in Highbury up for big award
- Credit: Archant
The only school in the country with a “music specialism” is up for a prestigious award.
Highbury Grove School, in Highbury Grove, has been nominated for a Best Classical Music Education Initiative gong.
The Highbury school is up against heavyweight institutions like National Youth Orchestra of Great Britain and desperately need votes to win first prize.
The winner will be announced at a gala ceremony held at the Barbican Centre, in Silk Street, Finsbury, on March 20.
You may also want to watch:
A music specialism means pupils can opt to do up to four hours a week of music study and each be given their own instrument.
Much of this was made possible by a mystery donor who gave tens of thousands of pounds to help bring the joys of classical music to some of the poorest kids in the country.
- 1 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 2 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
- 3 Historic pub The Cuckoo ready to welcome locals inside after refurbishment
- 4 Islington Council backtracks on promise to save mulberry tree
- 5 Reaction from winners of Islington by-elections
- 6 Upper Street chef raises money for St Vincent volcano victims
- 7 Islington Boxing Club receives a major boost in fundraising campaign
- 8 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 Trial halted after Extinction Rebellion protester glues himself to the dock
In October, the Gazette revealed that the benefactor was in fact Andrew Wolfson, on behalf of the Charles Wolfson charitable trust.
n To vote for Highbury Grove, visit http://www.classicfm.com/music-news.