Detectives probe suspicious death of man in Islington
PUBLISHED: 15:11 25 March 2014 | UPDATED: 15:11 25 March 2014
An investigation has been launched after a dead body was found in a property in Islington.
The discovery was made at around 8.30pm last night in Baxter Road after relatives contacted police with concerns about the welfare of a man living at the address.
When officers forced entry to the property, a man, believed to be aged in his mid-50s, was found dead.
Detectives believe the man had been assaulted inside the address and have launched an appeal for more information.
A Scotland Yard spokesman said it was too early to say how long the man had been dead, but confirmed that the last known contact with him had been on Sunday evening.
At present it is not known if anything is missing from the address but officers have so far found no evidence to suggest that entry had been forced to the property, he added.
An incident room has opened under Det Ch Insp Andy Partridge, of the Homicide and Major Crime Command.
He said: “I would like to appeal to anyone who has seen any activity in and around this address to make contact with my officers. In particular I would like help from the public who can assist with the movements of the victim between 7.30pm on Sunday and shortly before police found the victim on Monday.”
Police believe they know the identity of the victim and next of kin have been informed, but a formal identification is yet to take place.
There have been no arrests at this time. A post-mortem examination will be scheduled in due course.
The incident room can be contacted on 020 8358 0300.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Islington Gazette. Click the link in the orange box below for details.