Five sentenced over police chase that saw car plough into pubgoers outside Old Queen’s Head in Essex Road
PUBLISHED: 17:09 16 October 2017 | UPDATED: 17:28 16 October 2017
Five young men who were in a stolen car when it rammed into pubgoers outside The Old Queen’s Head in Essex Road have been sentenced.
Jason Furtado, 20, was driving the Peugeot Partner Quicksilver that mounted the pavement and hit three people – one of whom has been left with life-changing injuries.
The attack took place on March 25, sparking fears of a repeat of the Wesminster terror attack three days earlier.
At about 11pm police spotted the vehicle, which had been stolen days earlier, in Colebrooke Row, but lost sight of it.
Police in another car then spotted it in Essex Road and gave chase. But Furtado sped off, mounting the pavement and driving towards a group of about 20 people outside the popular boozer.
Two went flying over the bonnet, and one of those was carried along on top of the car before falling off and being dragged along.
The people in the car tried to run off but four were caught by police and arrested.
The man who initially got away – Furtado, of Southgate Road – was jailed for four years for causing serious injury by dangerous driving and affray. He was also banned from driving for three years.
Malique Howe, 19, of south London, dodged jail and was given a one-year term at a youth offenders institute, suspended for one year, for aggravated theft of a motor vehicle. He was also banned from driving for 21 months.
Aqeel Smith, 18, of Islington, was given an 18-month sentence at a youth offenders institute for aggravated theft of a motor vehicle, and was disqualified from driving for 21 months.
A 17-year-old received 18 months detention and a training order for aggravated theft of a motor vehicle. He was disqualified from driving for 12 months – but he did not turn up for his trial and is now at large. A warrant is out for his arrest.
Lastly, a 15-year-old boy got a 12-month youth referral order for aggravated theft of a motor vehicle, and was – bizarrely – banned from driving for one year. Scotland Yard said the ban was a mandatory part of the sentence for that crime, even though 15- and 16-year-olds cannot legally get behind the wheel of a car anyway.
They were sentenced at Blackfriars Crown Court on Friday having been found guilty in September.
Det Sgt Samuel Benbow said: “This was a cowardly act by these young males who were recklessly out of control.
“They have caused an innocent victim to suffer life-changing injuries and had the audacity to leave the scene with no regard for the welfare of those affected.
“The sentencing given by the judge reflects the serious nature of the act and we now hope the victims can start moving on with their lives.”
The case against a second 17-year-old was discontinued at Blackfriars Crown Court in September.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Islington Gazette. Click the link in the orange box above for details.