Hackney men sentenced after man stabbed to death at Islington house party

PUBLISHED: 07:56 20 May 2020 | UPDATED: 09:36 20 May 2020

L-R: Mohammed Musse and Ramani Boreland. Picture: Met Police

L-R: Mohammed Musse and Ramani Boreland. Picture: Met Police


Two Hackney men have been sentenced after a 20-year-old was stabbed to death at a New Year’s Eve party in Islington.

Steve Narvaez-Jara. Picture: Met PoliceSteve Narvaez-Jara. Picture: Met Police

Two Hackney men have been sentenced after a 20-year-old was stabbed to death at a New Year’s Eve party in Islington.

On January 1, 2018, Steve Narvaez-Jara was stabbed in the chest at a house party hosted by a 19-year-old student at her mother’s flat in Bartholomew Court in Old Street.

Mohammed Musse, 21, of Spotter House in Berger Road, Hackney, was sentenced to two years imprisonment at the Old Bailey on May 18, suspended for two years.

He was also handed 250 hours unpaid work, 22 days of programme requirement and 10 days of rehabilitation.

Ramani Boreland. Picture: Met PoliceRamani Boreland. Picture: Met Police

Ramani Boreland, 21, of Ambleside Close in Hackney, was previously sentenced at the same court on March 2 to 10 years for manslaughter and three years for violent disorder, to run concurrently.

Daniel Lena - Homerton rapper Unknown T - was also found not guilty of murder and violent disorder.

On the night Steve was fatally stabbed, violence erupted between the guests at 2am after the two door staff left.

Musse had been drinking at the party and bothering the female guests.

Mohammed Musse. Picture: Met PoliceMohammed Musse. Picture: Met Police

You may also want to watch:

When the boyfriend of one woman confronted him, a fight broke out in which Musse and Steve punched each other. It descended into a large brawl where bottles were thrown.

Musse’s friend Boreland, got involved at this point.

In the fight Steve slipped onto the floor, was hit with pieces of wood from a broken shoe rack and a machete, and stabbed twice in the heart and once in the arm.

He died a short time later at the scene.

Witnesses told police that Boreland was involved in the attack on Steve, but no one could say who had delivered the fatal blow.

Detectives found that Musse had left the kitchen before the fatal attack.

The wound was not inflicted with a machete, but most probably with a knife from the kitchen.

Det Ch Insp Paul Considine said: “This has been a long, gruelling process for Steve’s family and I hope that this will bring them just a little comfort.

“My officers have worked hard to make sure that those responsible were brought to justice but, of course, this will never take away the pain and loss that Steve’s death has caused.

“The Met is working around the clock to tackle violent crime but we cannot do this alone. We need the support of our communities to help us keep London’s streets safe. I urge anyone who may have information about those carrying weapons to tell us about it; we want to save the lives of young people.”

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Islington Gazette. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Islington Gazette