Search

Jessie Wright murder trial delay

PUBLISHED: 16:36 08 November 2010

Victim Jessie Wright

Victim Jessie Wright

Archant

THE trial of a man accused of the murder of schoolgirl Jessie Wright has been delayed until March next year.

Zakk Sackett, 20, of Outram Place, off Copenhagen Street, Islington, allegedly strangled the 16-year-old and left her body in an alleyway near to his home.

Jessie, a pupil of Maria Fidelis Convent School, in Phoenix Road, Somers Town, was found dead by a council workman on March 4 this year.

Sackett had been due to stand trial at the Old Bailey later this month, but his defence barrister Jeremy Dein QC asked for the fixture to be broken because of difficulties in preparing his case.

Judge Timothy Pontius QC said he “reluctantly agreed” to ensure Sackett had a fair trial.

He said: “I know that it will cause distress and concern for those involved, whether relatives of the defendant or Jessie Wright.

“The court regrets very much the necessity to delay the trial for so long a period but having heard all the circumstances there is simply no alternative if the matter is to be fairly tried.”

Sackett did not appear in court but the victim’s family were present for the hearing.

The trial, which is due to last three weeks, is now to take place on March 21 next year.

Sackett denies murder.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Islington Gazette. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Islington Gazette