14 years for ‘dangerous predator’ who sexually abused Holloway girl in 1980s
- Credit: Archant
A carer who sexually abused a girl in Holloway in the 1980s has been jailed.
Eddie Budka, 53, of Clifton Street, Plymouth, was sentenced to 14 years at Blackfriars Crown Court on Wednesday.
The victim made a complaint to police in November 2015 after Budka made a friend request to her dad on a social media site.
She was abused by Budka from the age of three. She was regularly left in his care.
The final incident happened when she was nine. Budka entered her room while she was asleep and sexually assaulted her.
You may also want to watch:
The victim’s mum later found Budka in the room and told him to leave. But he snuck back in. When the mum returned and saw him again, she shouted and he left the home.
Through this investigation, police identified two other victims, from Stroud Green and Palmers Green, who were abused in the 1990s.
- 1 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 2 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 3 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 4 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 5 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?
- 6 Clerkenwell fire: Margery Street office block blaze under investigation
- 7 Tony Blair joins celebration to mark 101 years of Highbury Catholic church
- 8 Finsbury Park house to be transformed for ‘Halloween experience’
- 9 Tree wardens to be recruited on every Islington estate 'to advocate for trees'
- 10 Guilty: MP Claudia Webbe harassed her partner's female friend, magistrate rules
Following a ten-day trial, Budka was found guilty of 12 counts of indecent assault and one count of actual bodily harm. He was found not guilty of two counts of indecent assault.
Det Cons Robert Hood said: “Budka is a dangerous predator who sexually abused and terrorised young innocent victims in his care between 1982 to 1996.
“Although it had taken in excess of 20 years for the victims to gain justice, Budka has now been brought to account for his actions.
“I would like to praise the victims for their bravery in helping us put Budka before the courts. I hope this sentence will give them some measure of closure.
“I would urge anyone who has suffered at the hands of people like Budka to come forward and contact your local police service.
“We take all allegations of this type extremely seriously, and we ensure that victims are supported throughout the process.”
An NSPCC spokeswoman added: “Budka’s behaviour is that of a serial sexual predator who took advantage of vulnerable young girls in his care. It is right that he is now behind bars.
”It is thanks to the bravery of his victims that he has now faced justice and we hope that all have received support to overcome the trauma of their experiences.
“This case shows that it is never too late for survivors of child sexual abuse to come forward and report abuse and seek help.”
If you would like to report any offences, call 101 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.