60-strong mob target Finsbury Park school
A mob of up to 60 school boys wearing red bandanas – at least one of whom was suspected to be armed – descended on a school in pursuit of a pupil.
Trouble flared at Islington Arts and Media School in Turle Road, Finsbury Park, shortly before 4pm on Friday but police intervened before any violence erupted.
A 14-year-old boy was arrested for possession of a knife, and a 15-year-old and a 16-year-old boy were arrested on public order offences. The three boys, who have been police bailed until various dates in February, are pupils from both schools involved.
The council refused to disclose the name of the other school involved but said it was outside of the borough.
Headteacher Diana Osagie said: “Quick thinking staff saw immediately what was going on and brought the pupil back into the school. The police were called and thankfully no one was hurt.
You may also want to watch:
“The police have raised their presence in our area and we are working with them to address the cause of this disturbance and ensure that our students remain safe.”
Anyone with information about the incident should contact police on 101 or anonymously via Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
- 1 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 2 State-of-the-art £4m facility in pipeline for Islington Boxing Club
- 3 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 4 Man arrested after police officer hit by car in Dartmouth Park
- 5 Police officer hospitalised after Dartmouth Park Hill hit-and-run
- 6 Newington Green's Meeting House to stream concert series for Mary Wollstonecraft's 262nd Birthday
- 7 Highbury performer marks World Burlesque Day with free classes
- 8 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed
- 9 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 10 Holloway fire 'caused by unattended chip pan'