61 riot crimes in Islington
Sixty-one crimes were �committed in Islington during the riots in August.
Figures obtained by the Gazette this week show �burglary was by far the most common offence, with 30 �cases. Criminal damage �accounted for 13 crimes, �including arson that gutted the computer shop HiTech Enterprises in Stroud Green Road, Finsbury Park, and there were nine robberies.
The offences included lootings at Micycle in Barnsbury Street, Barnsbury, and Food City in Essex Road, Islington. There were also two cases of �violence against people.
It has also been revealed that 50 Islington residents were arrested in the borough and across London.
Steve Wallace, Islington Police’s acting Det Supt, said: “Whilst we suffered a number of serious incidents in Islington, we had fewer compared to other parts of London.
You may also want to watch:
“This was due in part to the fact that we mobilised our local resources quickly to protect local businesses and property, preventing more widespread damage.”
- 1 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 2 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
- 3 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 4 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 5 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 6 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 7 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 8 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 9 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 10 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey