61 riot crimes in Islington
Sixty-one crimes were �committed in Islington during the riots in August.
Figures obtained by the Gazette this week show �burglary was by far the most common offence, with 30 �cases. Criminal damage �accounted for 13 crimes, �including arson that gutted the computer shop HiTech Enterprises in Stroud Green Road, Finsbury Park, and there were nine robberies.
The offences included lootings at Micycle in Barnsbury Street, Barnsbury, and Food City in Essex Road, Islington. There were also two cases of �violence against people.
It has also been revealed that 50 Islington residents were arrested in the borough and across London.
Steve Wallace, Islington Police’s acting Det Supt, said: “Whilst we suffered a number of serious incidents in Islington, we had fewer compared to other parts of London.
You may also want to watch:
“This was due in part to the fact that we mobilised our local resources quickly to protect local businesses and property, preventing more widespread damage.”
- 1 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 2 Arsenal fan's search for every Highbury Stadium match since 1940s
- 3 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 4 Tributes paid to Islington student fatally stabbed in Tottenham
- 5 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 6 Residents' 'frustration' as Royal Mail works to deliver in lockdown
- 7 Highbury woman launches pen pal initiative to fight lockdown loneliness
- 8 Designated Covid care setting celebrates intervention on insurance issues
- 9 Teaching mentor comes 'full circle' working at Islington school
- 10 Thames Water faces councillors’ anger over billing changes for tenants