61 riot crimes in Islington
Sixty-one crimes were �committed in Islington during the riots in August.
Figures obtained by the Gazette this week show �burglary was by far the most common offence, with 30 �cases. Criminal damage �accounted for 13 crimes, �including arson that gutted the computer shop HiTech Enterprises in Stroud Green Road, Finsbury Park, and there were nine robberies.
The offences included lootings at Micycle in Barnsbury Street, Barnsbury, and Food City in Essex Road, Islington. There were also two cases of �violence against people.
It has also been revealed that 50 Islington residents were arrested in the borough and across London.
Steve Wallace, Islington Police’s acting Det Supt, said: “Whilst we suffered a number of serious incidents in Islington, we had fewer compared to other parts of London.
You may also want to watch:
“This was due in part to the fact that we mobilised our local resources quickly to protect local businesses and property, preventing more widespread damage.”
- 1 State-of-the-art £4m facility in pipeline for Islington Boxing Club
- 2 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 3 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 4 Stan Kroenke and the European Super League have killed Arsenal FC
- 5 Man arrested after police officer hit by car in Dartmouth Park
- 6 Highbury performer marks World Burlesque Day with free classes
- 7 ESL 'the death of what football should be about', say Arsenal fans
- 8 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 9 Elthorne Pride community group's back-to-school initiative
- 10 Chamber music and arts festival scheduled for Islington this summer