61 riot crimes in Islington
Sixty-one crimes were �committed in Islington during the riots in August.
Figures obtained by the Gazette this week show �burglary was by far the most common offence, with 30 �cases. Criminal damage �accounted for 13 crimes, �including arson that gutted the computer shop HiTech Enterprises in Stroud Green Road, Finsbury Park, and there were nine robberies.
The offences included lootings at Micycle in Barnsbury Street, Barnsbury, and Food City in Essex Road, Islington. There were also two cases of �violence against people.
It has also been revealed that 50 Islington residents were arrested in the borough and across London.
Steve Wallace, Islington Police’s acting Det Supt, said: “Whilst we suffered a number of serious incidents in Islington, we had fewer compared to other parts of London.
You may also want to watch:
“This was due in part to the fact that we mobilised our local resources quickly to protect local businesses and property, preventing more widespread damage.”
- 1 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 2 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 3 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 8 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
- 9 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 10 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller