61 riot crimes in Islington
Sixty-one crimes were �committed in Islington during the riots in August.
Figures obtained by the Gazette this week show �burglary was by far the most common offence, with 30 �cases. Criminal damage �accounted for 13 crimes, �including arson that gutted the computer shop HiTech Enterprises in Stroud Green Road, Finsbury Park, and there were nine robberies.
The offences included lootings at Micycle in Barnsbury Street, Barnsbury, and Food City in Essex Road, Islington. There were also two cases of �violence against people.
It has also been revealed that 50 Islington residents were arrested in the borough and across London.
Steve Wallace, Islington Police’s acting Det Supt, said: “Whilst we suffered a number of serious incidents in Islington, we had fewer compared to other parts of London.
“This was due in part to the fact that we mobilised our local resources quickly to protect local businesses and property, preventing more widespread damage.”
- 1 Islington: Cycle track could be back if funding found
- 2 'Graffiti vandal' linked with £500k worth of damage caught in Highbury
- 3 Covid patient numbers levelling out after Christmas rise, data suggests
- 4 How mental health services are changing in north London
- 5 Five arrested for drugs offences after dawn raids
- 6 WATCH: Sauna fire rips through Old Street leisure centre
- 7 'Fear, isolation and distress': Pentonville Prison during Covid-19
- 8 Protesters march in final attempt to prevent incinerator contract
- 9 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 10 Knifeman was out on bail when he nearly killed father-of-three on school run