Aaron McKoy death: Dean Smith guilty of murder
A gunman is today facing a life sentence for shooting a man who was celebrating his birthday in a wine bar dead.
The Old Bailey heard that Aarron McKoy, 26, was beaten, chased and shot on New Year’s Day as part of a long-running feud between gangs.
Dean Smith, 26, of Stoke Newington, north London, was found guilty of murder and is due to be sentenced next week.
Aftab Jafferjee, QC, prosecuting, told the court Mr McKoy and a friend were drinking at the Clerkenwell House wine bar in central London, when violence broke out.
The club was cleared but the two friends were attacked outside.
After Mr McKoy ran off, he was chased and beaten again by a mob and found himself cornered.
Mr Jafferjee said: “Possibly because he slipped and fell, the small pursuing mob shot him dead. The person holding the gun was Dean Smith.”
- 1 New Aldi on Old Street to open this month
- 2 Plea date set for man accused of Sabita Thanwani killing
- 3 Call to get vaccinated amid Covid surge
- 4 International food festival coming to Islington this month
- 5 Alleged stalker sent '1,000 emails in a month’ to The Crown star Claire Foy
- 6 'Mistrust and fear' of services fuelling Islington BAME employment gap, research finds
- 7 Islington men charged after jewellery store robbery
- 8 'Save Islington's buses': Call for action as sweeping cuts loom
- 9 Guilty: 4 teenagers admit 27 offences after series of 19 robberies
- 10 Young stars of the design world celebrated at awards
Osman Mohammed, 23, Perrie Dennis, 23, Jack Nichols, 21, Ceon Hewitt, 22, and Daniel Oyetoro, 27, were all found not guilty of murder.