Ahead of funeral for Canonbury teen shot dead in Clapton family reveal tragic details of his death
- Credit: Archant
The relatives of a teen gunned down in Clapton have spoken of their grief days before his funeral - and revealed tragic details of how he was killed.
The family of Joseph Burke-Monerville have also divulged that his older brother was stabbed to death in 1994 with no one ever arrested for the killing.
A service for Mr Burke-Monerville, a prince in a Nigerian royal family, will be held at the Universal Church of the Kingdom of God, in Seven Sisters Road, Finsbury Park, on Friday at 11am followed by a reception at Islington Town Hall, in Upper Street
The family, from Canonbury Square, say the public are welcome at the funeral. A Nigerian queen, monarch to more than 20 million people, is also expected to attend.
Mr Burke-Monerville was just 19 when he was shot in the head and killed while sitting in a car in Clapton with his twin brother Jonathan and elder brother David.
You may also want to watch:
David, who was driving, had his left arm shattered by a bullet which grazed his chest, while Jonathan was injured by a shot which stuck in the door of the car.
The three bothers, who had no gang connections, had been at nearby Hackney Baths and stopped at a newsagent on the way to meet their father.
- 1 Islington mum speaks out about blaze that wrecked her 17th storey Old Street flat
- 2 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 3 Islington Council urges: 'Raise repairs before Partners hands back homes'
- 4 Meet Islington's 2021 civic award winners
- 5 State-of-the-art £4m facility in pipeline for Islington Boxing Club
- 6 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 7 Man arrested after police officer hit by car in Dartmouth Park
- 8 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 9 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed
- 10 Highbury performer marks World Burlesque Day with free classes
A suspect came up to the car and demanded to know if they were from the Pembury estate, in Pembury Road.
When they replied they weren’t from Hackney, the suspects accomplice is alleged to have said: “Waste them anyway.”
No arrests have been made 10 weeks after the shooting.
John Burke-Monerville, Joseph’s father, said: “The family is grateful for the many expressions of condolence and of outrage at this senseless crime which we have received.
“We would not want any other parents to suffer what we’ve been through in the last 10 weeks. We call on witnesses and on those in the community who know who the murderers of either of our sons are to come forward and tell the police what they know.”
This is the second bereavement suffered by the Burke-Monerville family as a result of street violence.
In 1994, the twins’ elder brother Trevor was stabbed 13 times and killed - again no arrests have been made.
Seven years previously, in 1987, Trevor alleged he suffered brain damage after being beaten while in custody at Stoke Newington Police Station which left him vulnerable and open to attacks like the one which killed him.
No police officer was ever charged or disciplined in relation to Trevor’s arrest or injuries.
In 1992 Brian Sedgemore, then MP for Hackney South, condemned “those nasty, vile and corrupt police officers at Stoke Newington police station who have been engaged in drug trafficking and perverting the course of justice.”
Professor Gus John, who is acting as family representative for the Burke-Monerville family, will deliver an address at Friday’s funeral.
He said: “It is indescribable what happened to Trevor, god know why it was allowed to happen. And now this is a double tragedy for the family.
“Jopseh was a very talented and focused young man and a great role model for others.
“This has been a shattering event for them. I have been singularly impressed with Jonathan, who is a very mature young man.”
Anyone with any information about the shooting can call the incident room on 020 8358 1112 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 800 555 111.