Andover Estate shooting sees Good Samaritan gunned down
- Credit: Archant
Man left in hospital after being shot trying to stop youngster being killed
A Good Samaritan was shot trying to break up a fight on a Holloway estate last night
The victim - in his 50s according to police - had been trying to stop a young man being killed following a mass brawl at around 11.50pm.
A group of youths had begun fighting - when one pulled a gun his intended victim ran in to the estate’s community centre, where a nine night celebration was taking place.
In a bid to stop trouble ruining the traditional Caribbean funerary service, the caretaker of the hall tried to calm the situation down but was shot in the bum.
You may also want to watch:
Armed police stormed the estate and found him bleeding from a gunshot wound.
He was taken to hospital where he is today recovering from non-life threatening injuries.
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 3 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 4 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 5 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 6 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 7 Jungle Cruise (12A)
- 8 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 9 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 10 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?
No one has been arrested for the shooting.
A spokesman from Scotland Yard said: “Police were called 23.50 to Andover Square to reports of males fighting.
“Subsequent calls reported shots fired and fire arms being seen
“Armed officers responded and found a man in his 50s suffering gun shot injuries.
“Islington Police are investigating, but no arrests have been made.”
Residents are said to be in shock over the latest violent incident on an estate that has seen its fair share of trouble - including the savage murder of 21-year-old Andrew Jaipaul who was stabbed 25 times with kitchen knives and broken glass by a mob of around 20 youths in 2011.
Anyone with any information lst night’s indicent can call police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111