Angry Arsenal thugs beat Blackburn fan unconscious at Emirates
POLICE are hunting a gang of Arsenal thugs who beat a Blackburn fan unconscious in front of hundreds of supporters as he left the Emirates Stadium on Saturday.
The 44-year-old victim was celebrating his side’s hard-fought 0-0 draw as he walked out of the ground at 7.15pm when he became involved in a slanging match with three Gunners fans furious that their team had thrown away its title chances.
The gang surrounded him on the Emirates podium near the bridge across to Drayton Park Station and threatened to teach him a lesson, before launching a brutal assault as he backed away in fear.
The men - who were all wearing Arsenal colours - told him that any one of them could beat him up, before one headbutted him. One of the others then punched him in the face, sending him plunging backwards onto the ground. As he fell he smashed his head on the concrete floor and was knocked out cold.
A steward rushed to help him and police on horseback raced through the crowds to try to catch the thugs, but they manage to escape.
You may also want to watch:
The Blackburn fan was rushed to the Royal Free Hospital, in Hampstead, with a cut to the back of his head, swelling to the cheek and cuts to his mouth. His injuries are non life threatening or life changing.
Eyewitness Jack Langton, 30, said; “It was horrific. The guy looked like he had had a few drinks and was celebrating and all of us Arsenal supporters were annoyed about the result, but nobody deserves that.
- 1 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 2 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 3 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 4 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 5 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 6 Kentish Town teen creates football team to 'bring community together'
- 7 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?
- 8 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 9 Clerkenwell fire: Margery Street office block blaze under investigation
- 10 Meet Charrli - the Islington start-up facilitating zero-waste shopping
“There were hundreds of people around, as well as stewards and police, but these guys didn’t care.
“They obsviously wanted to batter someone amd they circled him and beat him to the ground. He looked in a really bad way.
“The whole atmosphere was a bit poisonous on saturday because the team had played badly. Arsenal fans were arguing with each other in the stands. It’s not really suprising someone ended up getting hurt.”
The attackers were all white men aged about 25.
The first had brown hair spiked and was wearing a bright yellow T-shirt, blue cardigan, blue jeans and black shoes.
The second was of muscular build, with cropped brown hair and tattoos on his forearm. He was wearing a red Arsenal shirt, blue jeans and white trainers.
The third had cropped brown hair, a yellow Arsenal shirt and a black jacket.
- Anyone with information on this incident or who knows the identity of these suspects should call the investigating officer, Police Constable Sophie Matthews, on 020 7421 0185 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.