Appeal after man dies following assault in Holloway
- Credit: Archant
A murder investigation has been launched following the death of a man in Holloway.
Police were called at approximately 10.30pm on Saturday July 4 to reports of a man assaulted in Drayton Park at the junction with Benwell Road.
The victim, who has been named as Juris Butans, suffered serious head injuries and had been receiving treatment at hospital since the assault. He died at the Royal Free Hospital in the early hours of Sunday, November 15.
Next of kin in Latvia have been informed of his death.
A 46-year-old man was arrested on the day of the assault and charged with grevious bodily harm.
You may also want to watch:
Detectives from the Homicide and Major Crime Command have launched a murder investigation following the death of a man in Holloway.
Detective Chief Inspector Dave Whellams, from the Homicide and Major Crime Command, is now leading the investigation. He said: “What we know is that Juris was involved in an altercation with a man in the middle of a summer day. I’m certain there are key witnesses who may have witnessed the incident and we need to hear from them.”
- 1 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 2 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 3 Arsenal fan's search for every Highbury Stadium match since 1940s
- 4 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 5 Residents' 'frustration' as Royal Mail works to deliver in lockdown
- 6 Highbury woman launches pen pal initiative to fight lockdown loneliness
- 7 Teaching mentor comes 'full circle' working at Islington school
- 8 Two 17-year-olds charged after alleged knifepoint robbery in Highgate
- 9 Thames Water faces councillors’ anger over billing changes for tenants
- 10 Designated Covid care setting celebrates intervention on insurance issues
A post-mortem examination took place at The Whittington Mortuary on Monday, November 23 and gave the cause of death as blunt force trauma to the head.
A 46-year-old man was arrested on the day of the assault and subsequently charged with grievous bodily harm.
Anyone with any information is urged to call the police incident room on 020 8345 3755 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.