Appeal after man is punched in the face and knocked unconscious at Old Street Tube station
- Credit: Archant
A man was left with a broken jaw after an unprovoked attack at a Tube station at the weekend.
The 35-year-old victim was topping up his Oyster Card at the ticket machine in Old Street Underground station on Sunday morning at about 9.30am when he was punched in the face and was knocked unconscious.
British Transport Police (BTP) detectives are appealing for information following the shocking attack and have a released an image of a man they want to speak to.
Det Con Oliver Carne, the investigating officer, said: “A man walked over to him [the victim] from behind and punched him in the side of the face.
“He was knocked out and suffered a broken jaw, which requires an operation.”
You may also want to watch:
Det Con Carne continued: “This was a shocking and unprovoked assault that has left the victim needing hospital treatment.
“We don’t tolerate violence on the London Underground network and I’d urge anyone who recognises the man pictured, or has any information that could help our investigation, to please contact us.”
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 3 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 4 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 5 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 6 Almost 5,000 Islington people pinged by Covid app in one week
- 7 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 8 New pub opens in place of The Monarch in Chalk Farm Road
- 9 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 10 Two men jailed for life after double murder
Anyone with information is asked to contact British Transport Police on 0800 40 50 40, or text 61016, quoting background B5/LUA of 29/10/13. Information can also be passed to the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.