Appeal issued after baby’s ashes stolen during burglary
- Credit: Archant
A couple whose baby’s ashes were stolen during a house burglary have pleaded for them to be returned.
Burglars broke into the home of Amanda Ryan and Daniel McElligott in Stoneleigh Terrace on the Whittington Estate and stole a small white casket containing the ashes of their stillborn son, along with jewellery, laptops and mobile phones.
The small white box was clearly marked with the baby boy’s name, Oliver Ryan McElligott, and the date of his death, July 19 2011. It is thought that the burglar may have mistaken it for a jewellery box.
The burglary took place on Thursday, February 6.
Investigating officer DC Ursula Surgenor of Camden CID said: “The victims have been left devastated by the loss of their baby’s ashes and we are appealing for any information or assistance from members of the public to bring about its return and to catch those responsible.
You may also want to watch:
“The burglary took place between 1500 hrs and 1700 hrs on Thursday 6 February and we would like to hear from anyone who may have noticed anything or seen anyone acting suspiciously during this time, at this location. We would also like to hear from anyone who may have come across or seen a box matching the description to contact us.”
Anyone with information please call 101, alternatively to remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
- 1 Archway murder investigation launched as 15-year-old victim named
- 2 Archway stabbing: 16-year-old arrested on suspicion of murder
- 3 Islington man sentenced after spate of motorbike and bike thefts
- 4 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 5 Barnsbury homes evacuated after burst Thames Water pipe floods basements
- 6 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 7 Archway man jailed after causing 'totally avoidable' crash
- 8 Tributes paid to Islington student fatally stabbed in Tottenham
- 9 Angel Comedy Club launches mockumentary series to save venue
- 10 Two 16-year-olds charged with murder of Islington student