Appeal issued after baby’s ashes stolen during burglary
- Credit: Archant
A couple whose baby’s ashes were stolen during a house burglary have pleaded for them to be returned.
Burglars broke into the home of Amanda Ryan and Daniel McElligott in Stoneleigh Terrace on the Whittington Estate and stole a small white casket containing the ashes of their stillborn son, along with jewellery, laptops and mobile phones.
The small white box was clearly marked with the baby boy’s name, Oliver Ryan McElligott, and the date of his death, July 19 2011. It is thought that the burglar may have mistaken it for a jewellery box.
The burglary took place on Thursday, February 6.
Investigating officer DC Ursula Surgenor of Camden CID said: “The victims have been left devastated by the loss of their baby’s ashes and we are appealing for any information or assistance from members of the public to bring about its return and to catch those responsible.
You may also want to watch:
“The burglary took place between 1500 hrs and 1700 hrs on Thursday 6 February and we would like to hear from anyone who may have noticed anything or seen anyone acting suspiciously during this time, at this location. We would also like to hear from anyone who may have come across or seen a box matching the description to contact us.”
Anyone with information please call 101, alternatively to remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
- 1 'Good Samaritan' chased off random attacker who hit woman
- 2 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 3 Thornhill School's 'dream' library opens after parents' 'relentless' fundraising efforts
- 4 Islington's great beer gardens - reopening today
- 5 Campaigners debate future of Holloway Women's Building with Peabody Trust
- 6 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 7 Islington arts groups get £6.6m government Covid boost
- 8 Drugs and cash seized in multi-force police op
- 9 Bunhill by-election set to go-ahead following Claudia Webbe's resignation
- 10 Can you help identify this man?