Appeal issued after baby’s ashes stolen during burglary
- Credit: Archant
A couple whose baby’s ashes were stolen during a house burglary have pleaded for them to be returned.
Burglars broke into the home of Amanda Ryan and Daniel McElligott in Stoneleigh Terrace on the Whittington Estate and stole a small white casket containing the ashes of their stillborn son, along with jewellery, laptops and mobile phones.
The small white box was clearly marked with the baby boy’s name, Oliver Ryan McElligott, and the date of his death, July 19 2011. It is thought that the burglar may have mistaken it for a jewellery box.
The burglary took place on Thursday, February 6.
Investigating officer DC Ursula Surgenor of Camden CID said: “The victims have been left devastated by the loss of their baby’s ashes and we are appealing for any information or assistance from members of the public to bring about its return and to catch those responsible.
You may also want to watch:
“The burglary took place between 1500 hrs and 1700 hrs on Thursday 6 February and we would like to hear from anyone who may have noticed anything or seen anyone acting suspiciously during this time, at this location. We would also like to hear from anyone who may have come across or seen a box matching the description to contact us.”
Anyone with information please call 101, alternatively to remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 3 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 4 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 5 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 6 New pub opens in place of The Monarch in Chalk Farm Road
- 7 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 8 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 9 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 10 Statue to street cat Bob unveiled in Islington Green