'Armed police' descend on Islington road, but 'no risk to public'
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Armed police are reported to be at the scene of a "nasty" incident in Islington this morning (February 5).
The Met Police has confirmed its officers are on Halliford Street at the scene of an incident at a home in the road, Scotland Yard said.
A nearby resident, who would prefer not to be named, said 35 or 40 police had been on the street since about 11am, when she had heard shouting and screaming.
"Obviously they are very concerned, they were telling people to stay in their houses and not go out of their homes," she said. "Something nasty is happening."
However, Islington Police tweeted to reassure people that there is "no risk to the wider public".
You may also want to watch:
They said: "Officers are responding to an incident at a residential address in Halliford Street.
"There is no risk to the wider public but a number of road closures are in place.
- 1 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 2 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 3 'No further action' after officer knelt on neck of Black suspect in Finsbury Park
- 4 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 5 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 6 Letters on low traffic neighbourhoods
- 7 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?
- 8 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 9 Finsbury Park to get its own Pokémon-GO style story
- 10 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
"We’d ask people to avoid the area and will provide further updates on this account in due course."
Surrounding roads have been closed while the incident is ongoing.
This page is being updated.