Arrest made in mystery Archway murder investigation
A man has been arrested on suspicion of murder after a patient admitted to the Whittington Hospital with mysterious injuries died at the hospital.
Police believe Alexander Stewart, of Henfield Close, Archway, was involved in a fight sometime between December 6 and December 11 in which he suffered fatal chest wounds.
However, officers have little information about the incident and do not know where it might have happened.
A pathologist report suggests the 49-year-old was either punched or kicked, but officers are ruling nothing out.
Mr Stewart died at the hospital in Magdala Avenue, Archway, last Wednesday (December 19), after being admitted two days before with a fractured chest bone and blood poisoning.
You may also want to watch:
Police were called to the hospital at about 1.10am last Wednesday by staff after Mr Stewart died. His family has been informed.
On Friday, a 42-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of murder after presenting himself to a police station in north London. He was later bailed to return in February pending further enquiries.
- 1 'Good Samaritan' chased off random attacker who hit woman
- 2 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 3 Thornhill School's 'dream' library opens after parents' 'relentless' fundraising efforts
- 4 Islington's great beer gardens - reopening today
- 5 Islington arts groups get £6.6m government Covid boost
- 6 Campaigners debate future of Holloway Women's Building with Peabody Trust
- 7 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 8 Drugs and cash seized in multi-force police op
- 9 Bunhill by-election set to go-ahead following Claudia Webbe's resignation
- 10 Can you help identify this man?
Police are still appealling for information and anyone who can help should call officers on 020 8345 3865 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.