Arrest made in mystery Archway murder investigation
A man has been arrested on suspicion of murder after a patient admitted to the Whittington Hospital with mysterious injuries died at the hospital.
Police believe Alexander Stewart, of Henfield Close, Archway, was involved in a fight sometime between December 6 and December 11 in which he suffered fatal chest wounds.
However, officers have little information about the incident and do not know where it might have happened.
A pathologist report suggests the 49-year-old was either punched or kicked, but officers are ruling nothing out.
Mr Stewart died at the hospital in Magdala Avenue, Archway, last Wednesday (December 19), after being admitted two days before with a fractured chest bone and blood poisoning.
You may also want to watch:
Police were called to the hospital at about 1.10am last Wednesday by staff after Mr Stewart died. His family has been informed.
On Friday, a 42-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of murder after presenting himself to a police station in north London. He was later bailed to return in February pending further enquiries.
- 1 Archway stabbing: 16-year-old arrested on suspicion of murder
- 2 Archway murder investigation launched as 15-year-old victim named
- 3 Barnsbury homes evacuated after burst Thames Water pipe floods basements
- 4 Islington man sentenced after spate of motorbike and bike thefts
- 5 Non-symptomatic Covid-19 test sites open in Islington
- 6 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 7 Archway man jailed after causing 'totally avoidable' crash
- 8 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 9 Tributes paid to Islington student fatally stabbed in Tottenham
- 10 Two 16-year-olds charged with murder of Islington student
Police are still appealling for information and anyone who can help should call officers on 020 8345 3865 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.