Arrest made in mystery Archway murder investigation
A man has been arrested on suspicion of murder after a patient admitted to the Whittington Hospital with mysterious injuries died at the hospital.
Police believe Alexander Stewart, of Henfield Close, Archway, was involved in a fight sometime between December 6 and December 11 in which he suffered fatal chest wounds.
However, officers have little information about the incident and do not know where it might have happened.
A pathologist report suggests the 49-year-old was either punched or kicked, but officers are ruling nothing out.
Mr Stewart died at the hospital in Magdala Avenue, Archway, last Wednesday (December 19), after being admitted two days before with a fractured chest bone and blood poisoning.
You may also want to watch:
Police were called to the hospital at about 1.10am last Wednesday by staff after Mr Stewart died. His family has been informed.
On Friday, a 42-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of murder after presenting himself to a police station in north London. He was later bailed to return in February pending further enquiries.
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 3 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 4 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 5 New pub opens in place of The Monarch in Chalk Farm Road
- 6 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 7 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 8 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 9 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 10 Islington and Camden police chief to leave Met after 29 years
Police are still appealling for information and anyone who can help should call officers on 020 8345 3865 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.