Arsenal footballers ambushed in Hampstead: Archway man admits attempted robbery of Ozil and Kolasinac
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
An Archway man has admitted trying to rob two Arsenal footballers in Platt’s Lane, Hampstead.
Ashley Smith, 30, pleaded guilty to attempting to steal watches from Mesut Ozil and Sead Kolasinac on July 25.
He appeared at Snaresbrook Crown Court by video link on Thursday morning where he admitted trying to ambush World Cup winner Ozil, 30, and full-back Kolasinac, 26.
Footage on social media showed Bosnian defender Kolasinac, nicknamed The Tank, chasing off two moped attackers wearing helmets and dark clothing.
The club's £350,000-a-week Germany midfielder Ozil can be seen in his black Mercedes G class jeep before he reportedly took refuge in a Turkish restaurant.
You may also want to watch:
Smith, of Archway, north London, was remanded in custody to be sentenced at the same court on November 1 by Judge Sheelagh Canavan.
Ozil and Kolasinac are back playing after missing the start of the Premier League season.
- 1 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 2 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 3 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 4 Letters on low traffic neighbourhoods
- 5 'No further action' after officer knelt on neck of Black suspect in Finsbury Park
- 6 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?
- 7 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 8 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 9 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 10 Finsbury Park to get its own Pokémon-GO style story
Jordan Northover, 26, has also been charged over the incident and is due to appear before magistrates on Friday.