Arsenal footballers ambushed in Hampstead: Archway man admits attempted robbery of Ozil and Kolasinac
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
An Archway man has admitted trying to rob two Arsenal footballers in Platt’s Lane, Hampstead.
Ashley Smith, 30, pleaded guilty to attempting to steal watches from Mesut Ozil and Sead Kolasinac on July 25.
He appeared at Snaresbrook Crown Court by video link on Thursday morning where he admitted trying to ambush World Cup winner Ozil, 30, and full-back Kolasinac, 26.
Footage on social media showed Bosnian defender Kolasinac, nicknamed The Tank, chasing off two moped attackers wearing helmets and dark clothing.
The club's £350,000-a-week Germany midfielder Ozil can be seen in his black Mercedes G class jeep before he reportedly took refuge in a Turkish restaurant.
You may also want to watch:
Smith, of Archway, north London, was remanded in custody to be sentenced at the same court on November 1 by Judge Sheelagh Canavan.
Ozil and Kolasinac are back playing after missing the start of the Premier League season.
- 1 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 2 Residents' 'frustration' as Royal Mail works to deliver in lockdown
- 3 Highbury woman launches pen pal initiative to fight lockdown loneliness
- 4 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 5 Teaching mentor comes 'full circle' working at Islington school
- 6 Arsenal fan's search for every Highbury Stadium match since 1940s
- 7 Thames Water faces councillors’ anger over billing changes for tenants
- 8 Islington charity choir smashes fundraising target with help from Brian Eno
- 9 Police search for suspects after teen stabbed in the face in the Cally
- 10 Islington writers among the winners of 2021 awards
Jordan Northover, 26, has also been charged over the incident and is due to appear before magistrates on Friday.