Arsenal footballers ambushed in Hampstead: Archway man admits attempted robbery of Ozil and Kolasinac
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
An Archway man has admitted trying to rob two Arsenal footballers in Platt’s Lane, Hampstead.
Ashley Smith, 30, pleaded guilty to attempting to steal watches from Mesut Ozil and Sead Kolasinac on July 25.
He appeared at Snaresbrook Crown Court by video link on Thursday morning where he admitted trying to ambush World Cup winner Ozil, 30, and full-back Kolasinac, 26.
Footage on social media showed Bosnian defender Kolasinac, nicknamed The Tank, chasing off two moped attackers wearing helmets and dark clothing.
The club's £350,000-a-week Germany midfielder Ozil can be seen in his black Mercedes G class jeep before he reportedly took refuge in a Turkish restaurant.
Smith, of Archway, north London, was remanded in custody to be sentenced at the same court on November 1 by Judge Sheelagh Canavan.
Ozil and Kolasinac are back playing after missing the start of the Premier League season.
- 1 Plan to extend popular Gooners pub with shops and flats
- 2 Disqualified driver jailed after hit-and-run involving Islington schoolgirl
- 3 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 4 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 5 Five appear in court charged with drugs offences after dawn raids
- 6 Blue Badge exemption and positive results for Canonbury East LTN
- 7 Holloway BHF pleads for volunteers to help it stay open
- 8 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 9 Archway teacher on trial for 'encouraging terrorism'
- 10 'We've still not had Christmas cards': Royal Mail apologises as post backlog hits Islington
Jordan Northover, 26, has also been charged over the incident and is due to appear before magistrates on Friday.