Arsenal footballers ambushed in Hampstead: Archway man admits attempted robbery of Ozil and Kolasinac
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
An Archway man has admitted trying to rob two Arsenal footballers in Platt’s Lane, Hampstead.
Ashley Smith, 30, pleaded guilty to attempting to steal watches from Mesut Ozil and Sead Kolasinac on July 25.
He appeared at Snaresbrook Crown Court by video link on Thursday morning where he admitted trying to ambush World Cup winner Ozil, 30, and full-back Kolasinac, 26.
Footage on social media showed Bosnian defender Kolasinac, nicknamed The Tank, chasing off two moped attackers wearing helmets and dark clothing.
The club's £350,000-a-week Germany midfielder Ozil can be seen in his black Mercedes G class jeep before he reportedly took refuge in a Turkish restaurant.
Smith, of Archway, north London, was remanded in custody to be sentenced at the same court on November 1 by Judge Sheelagh Canavan.
Ozil and Kolasinac are back playing after missing the start of the Premier League season.
- 1 Islington men charged after jewellery store robbery
- 2 Hit Brighton food hall operator to open Upper Street venue
- 3 Man charged after staff assault at Barking Asda
- 4 New Aldi on Old Street to open this month
- 5 Old Bailey: Pair enter pleas over Alex Smith murder
- 6 Homes under the Planner: Schemes submitted or approved in Islington in June
- 7 Siblings open community-oriented park coffee hut
- 8 Man charged with 1974 murder of woman found in Highbury
- 9 Guilty: 4 teenagers admit 27 offences after series of 19 robberies
- 10 Islington scammers jailed after preying on elderly victims
Jordan Northover, 26, has also been charged over the incident and is due to appear before magistrates on Friday.