Axe attack on Upper Street sign of growing gang presence in Islington
- Credit: Archant
An axe attack on a teenager took place on one of Islington’s most prominent streets during rush hour yesterday (March 27).
An 18-year-old man is believed to have almost lost a hand in the attack, which took place on Upper Street at about 6.15pm, as gang violence spilled over into the heart of the borough.
The victim was taken to the Whittington Hospital where he was treated for arm injuries.
Less than two hours later, speaking at a council meeting just across the road from the pavement where pools of blood still remained from the attack, town hall crime chief Cllr Paul Convery said that gang warfare was rearing its head again.
He said: “This was a very violent, pre-meditated attack that played out on one of the most prominent streets in our borough.
“There were huge puddles of blood in the street.
“There had been a period of relative calm in the borough over the last two years and the police took out a large number of very active gang members.
- 1 Archway teacher on trial for 'encouraging terrorism'
- 2 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 3 Five appear in court charged with drugs offences after dawn raids
- 4 'We've still not had Christmas cards': Royal Mail apologises as post backlog hits Islington
- 5 Replacement Finsbury Park leisure centre a step closer
- 6 More than 18,000 Covid breach fines issued by Met during lockdowns
- 7 'Government should rethink their plans': Masks still required on TfL
- 8 Screen on the Green: Dive into 1940s America this weekend
- 9 How many alcohol-related fires were there in your borough last year?
- 10 'Graffiti vandal' linked with £500k worth of damage caught in Highbury
“They are nearly all gone but a vacuum seems to have been created with youngsters moving in to a very active drug culture – there has been a probable upswing in gang related violence.
“We are going to get a grip on this, before it causes the kind of problems it did a couple of years ago.”