Babyfaced Islington teens jailed over moped robbery spree
- Credit: Archant
Two babyfaced teenagers have been jailed for a combined three years over a 10-minute moped robbery spree in central London.
Michael Moss, 19, of Lloyd Baker Street, Finsbury, and 18-year-old Wade Spencer of Newington Green were caught after stealing phones from people on a stolen moped.
Just after 11.30pm on May 31 the pair robbed a man in Guildford Street, Finsbury. Moss was driving and Spencer was riding pillion and they snatched his phone after a brief struggle.
Two minutes later they stole a phone and headset from a man as he waited outside a shop in Holborn Circus. Minutes after that, two officers watching the junction of Russell Square and Southampton Row watched them ride onto the pavement behind two people.
The officers tried to pull them over as they were speeding at 45mph in a 20mph area, but Moss did not stop. They eventually abandoned the moped and ran off in different directions towards Kingsway, shedding their clothes as they ran.
You may also want to watch:
Moss was caught and detained by members of the public while Spencer was stopped by officers.
Items they had stolen and clothing they had discarded were recovered – as was the scooter.
- 1 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 2 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 3 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 4 Letters on low traffic neighbourhoods
- 5 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 6 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?
- 7 'No further action' after officer knelt on neck of Black suspect in Finsbury Park
- 8 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 9 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 10 Two men jailed for life after double murder
They were jailed on Friday after denying the charges.
Moss was sentenced to 18 months inside for robbery. A one year sentence for theft and a six month term for aggravated vehicle taking and dangerous driving will run concurrently.
He has also been banned from driving for a year and been given a three-year criminal behaviour order (CBO).
Sencer was also jailed for 18 months for robbery, and 12 months for theft to run concurrently.
He was also given a three-year CBO.