Band members save fan from brutal Finsbury Park dancefloor beating
BRAVE musicians had to drop their instruments and wade into the crowd to save one of their fans from a savage dancefloor attack when a gig turned nasty.
Members of top ska band Covered in Skas were performing at the World’s End pub, in Stroud Green Road, Finsbury Park, on Friday night when one of their dedicated followers was set upon as he danced.
Four thugs smashed the 43-year-old to the floor and stamped on his head until the musicians stopped playing and ran to his rescue.
Detective Sergeant Rick Nolan, from Islington police, said: “The victim is a ska music fan who was in the pub to watch the band when there was some sort of tomfoolery on the dancefloor. We don’t know if there was an accidental collision or someone was winding him up by deliberately pushing into him while he danced, but suddenly four guys started assaulting him. They punched him repeatedly then kicked him and stamped on his head while he was on the floor.
“Members of the band obviously saw what was happening, left the stage and went onto the dancefloor to stop the fight. Some of the pub staff and other customers also stepped in to help calm the situation down and the attackers left the pub.”
You may also want to watch:
The victim was taken to Whittington Hospital in Archway with a suspected fractured cheekbone, cuts and bruises. He is recovering at his Camden home.
A 21-year-old man was arrested and bailed after he walked into Islington police station last night (Sunday), but police are still hunting the gang.
- 1 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 2 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 3 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 4 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 5 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 6 'No further action' after officer knelt on neck of Black suspect in Finsbury Park
- 7 Letters on low traffic neighbourhoods
- 8 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 9 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 10 Families of WW2 veterans join Jeremy Corbyn in presenting plaque
DS Nolan said: “The guys we are looking for don’t fit the desciption of ska music followers. Ska fans tend to be in their 40s or 50s and quite alternative looking. These guys were much younger.”
The attackers were all white. One of them was 6ft tall with short black hair and wearing a blue checked shirt.
- Anyone with information on this incident should call the investigating officer, Detective Constable Sam Benbow, on 020 7421 0185 or Crimestoppers anonymously 0800 555 111