Bari Bacco: ‘Extravagant’ Islington founder of Dreamboys strip show jailed for fraud
- Credit: Archant
The Islington founder of Dreamboys, a well-known male strip show, was today jailed for tax and benefit fraud.
Barry Solomons, 71, professionally known as Bari Bacco, failed to declare income of more than £219,000 to HM Revenue and Customs between 2007 and 2013, evading £57,000 in income tax.
Solomons lived in Shepperton Road, but most recently resided in Bristol. He was sentended today at Blackfriars Crown Court for 28 months, having admitted the offences in July.
The con was uncovered after a Department for Work and Pensions investigation revealed Solomons had fraudulently claimed various unemployment, sickness and housing benefits totalling £177,000 – money he wouldn’t have received if he had declared his true income.
Solomons’ business associate, 55-year-old Barnet woman Laurel Goodman, was also sentenced to 28 months for evading £114,000 in income tax.
You may also want to watch:
Martin Brown, of the fraud investigation service, said: “Solomons and Goodman not only failed to pay the income tax they owed but also claimed financial support meant for those in genuine need. They were a pair of cheats who supported their extravagant lifestyles with unpaid taxes and stolen benefits.”
Six months ago, Solomons told the Gazette how Princess Diana told one of his “Dreamboys”: “You aren’t wearing very much tonight.” Read the interview here.
- 1 State-of-the-art £4m facility in pipeline for Islington Boxing Club
- 2 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 3 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 4 Stan Kroenke and the European Super League have killed Arsenal FC
- 5 Highbury performer marks World Burlesque Day with free classes
- 6 Man arrested after police officer hit by car in Dartmouth Park
- 7 ESL 'the death of what football should be about', say Arsenal fans
- 8 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 9 Elthorne Pride community group's back-to-school initiative
- 10 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed