Bari Bacco: ‘Extravagant’ Islington founder of Dreamboys strip show jailed for fraud
- Credit: Archant
The Islington founder of Dreamboys, a well-known male strip show, was today jailed for tax and benefit fraud.
Barry Solomons, 71, professionally known as Bari Bacco, failed to declare income of more than £219,000 to HM Revenue and Customs between 2007 and 2013, evading £57,000 in income tax.
Solomons lived in Shepperton Road, but most recently resided in Bristol. He was sentended today at Blackfriars Crown Court for 28 months, having admitted the offences in July.
The con was uncovered after a Department for Work and Pensions investigation revealed Solomons had fraudulently claimed various unemployment, sickness and housing benefits totalling £177,000 – money he wouldn’t have received if he had declared his true income.
Solomons’ business associate, 55-year-old Barnet woman Laurel Goodman, was also sentenced to 28 months for evading £114,000 in income tax.
Martin Brown, of the fraud investigation service, said: “Solomons and Goodman not only failed to pay the income tax they owed but also claimed financial support meant for those in genuine need. They were a pair of cheats who supported their extravagant lifestyles with unpaid taxes and stolen benefits.”
Six months ago, Solomons told the Gazette how Princess Diana told one of his “Dreamboys”: “You aren’t wearing very much tonight.” Read the interview here.
- 1 Islington's first Amazon Fresh store opens in Angel
- 2 Safety measure or danger? Two weeks to decide Liverpool Road cycleway fate
- 3 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns
- 4 Shops encouraged to become 'safe havens' to make Islington safer for women
- 5 New Covid-19 vaccine centre opens on Holloway Road
- 6 Haringey first council to call for Edmonton incinerator pause
- 7 Islington pub Alpaca wins lockdown service award
- 8 Winter Toy Appeal launches to help London children in poverty
- 9 Family of missing Islington man make urgent appeal for information
- 10 Man dies after two people found in Regent's Canal near Angel