Beatrice Yankson death: Islington woman’s son charged with murder and arson after fatal fire
- Credit: Archant
The son of a woman who was killed in a flat fire in Finsbury Park in October has been charged with her murder.
Beatrice Yankson, 59, died after the blaze at her home in Mingard Walk on October 26.
Her son, Joel Ellis, 35, was on Tuesday December 10 slapped with charges of murder and arson with intent to endanger life.
Emergency services were called to Ms Yankson's flat at 12.41 on the day in question, but she was pronounced dead at the scene.
A post-mortem examination on October 29 established the cause of her death to be "burns and inhalation of fire/fumes".
You may also want to watch:
Ellis, also of Mingard Walk, was set to appear at Thames Magistrates' Court today (Wed).
- 1 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 2 Arsenal fan's search for every Highbury Stadium match since 1940s
- 3 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 4 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 5 Residents' 'frustration' as Royal Mail works to deliver in lockdown
- 6 Highbury woman launches pen pal initiative to fight lockdown loneliness
- 7 Teaching mentor comes 'full circle' working at Islington school
- 8 Two 17-year-olds charged after alleged knifepoint robbery in Highgate
- 9 Thames Water faces councillors’ anger over billing changes for tenants
- 10 Islington's Holocaust Memorial Day 2021 event to go ahead online