Bogus window cleaners on the loose in Islington, warn police
- Credit: Archant
Crooks who pose as window cleaners to scope out homes and steal expensive Christmas presents are being targeted by police.
Officers have sent out a warning about the bogus workmen, who appear at homes unannounced looking into vacant windows as they clean, or go into homes to clean the inside, then steal valuables.
The public is urged to check to ensure that window cleaners have proper identification.
Neighbourhood teams will also be patrolling, on the lookout for anything suspicious.
You may also want to watch:
Det Con Jason Mayes, from Islington’s burglary and robbery team, said: “At a time just after Christmas and the New Year when the home is likely to be full of new and expensive presents, we have been made aware of an increasing number of bogus callers and distraction burglars.
“Burglars posing as window cleaners are entering the homes of elderly and vulnerable members of the public and stealing their possessions.
- 1 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 2 Archway man jailed after causing 'totally avoidable' crash
- 3 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 4 High Court ruling 'will not directly impact' People Friendly Streets
- 5 Two 16-year-olds charged with murder of Islington student
- 6 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 7 Tributes paid to Islington student fatally stabbed in Tottenham
- 8 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 9 Teaching mentor comes 'full circle' working at Islington school
- 10 Thousands back petition for exemptions in Highbury People Friendly Streets
“We are appealing for residents and members of the public to be vigilant and report to us any unusual behaviour.”
Call 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.