Boy, 15, charged in connection with moped death of Stroud Green teen
- Credit: Archant
A 15-year-old boy has been charged in connection with a crash which killed a teenager from Stroud Green.
The youngster, from Islington, is set to appear at Highbury Coroner Youth Court today following the death of Joe Walker, 17, on October 19.
Joe, a promising young footballer, was riding a moped along Seven Sisters Road, near the junction with Moreton Road, Tottenham, when the collision occurred.
The 15-year-old has been charged with causing death by dangerous driving, failure to stop, causing death whilst uninsured and causing death with no licence.
Four others have been arrested in connection with the crash – a 16-year-old boy and two men aged 20 who have been bailed until early January, and a 17-year-old, who remains in custody at a north London police station pending further enquires.
You may also want to watch:
Rising Arsenal and England star Kaylen Hinds led tributes to Joe following his death.
Mr Hinds, who has scored four goals for England under-18s, said on Twitter: “RIP Joe Walker. We go way back from primary school days and playing with each other at Leyton Orient.”
- 1 Emirates pop-up Covid-19 vaccine clinic opens for a second time
- 2 Covid-19 cases start to drop off in Islington
- 3 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
- 4 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 5 Escape in Islington this weekend: Lovely food and great new shows
- 6 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 7 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 8 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 9 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 10 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
He added: “Trying to get my head around it, trying to keep strong but it’s hard man. Everyone is going to miss you.”
Tegan Cosgrave, 16, a family friend added: “He was the loveliest boy, always making people laugh.
“He didn’t have a bad bone in his body. I don’t know anyone that could say a bad word about him.
“He was loved by all of his friends.”
A shrine of flowers and tributes was set up by Joe’s family and friends where he was killed.