Boy arrested in Ipswich in Stefan Appleton murder investigation
- Credit: Archant
Sixth arrest sees boy, 16, also detained for possession of Class A drug
A 16-year-old boy has been arrested in Ipswich on suspicion of murdering Stefan Appleton.
The suspect, who was also arrested for possession of a Class A drug, is the sixth teen to be arrested in the investigation which has seen two boys, also 16, charged with the murder of the 18-year-old in Canonbury on Wednesday last week.
Yesterday lunchtime Suffolk officers raided a property in Berners Street, Ipswich, on behalf of the Met’s murder squad detectives.
A search warrant was executed at around 1pm.
You may also want to watch:
Suffolk Constabulary confirmed it had arrested a suspect on behalf of the Met Police in Ipswich yesterday.
Stefan was stabbed several times at Nightingale Park shortly after 6pm on June 10 and was pronounced dead at 7.45pm due to shock and haemorrhage, and a stab wound to the chest.
- 1 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 2 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 3 Arsenal fan's search for every Highbury Stadium match since 1940s
- 4 Residents' 'frustration' as Royal Mail works to deliver in lockdown
- 5 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 6 Highbury woman launches pen pal initiative to fight lockdown loneliness
- 7 Teaching mentor comes 'full circle' working at Islington school
- 8 Thames Water faces councillors’ anger over billing changes for tenants
- 9 Two 17-year-olds charged after alleged knifepoint robbery in Highgate
- 10 Islington's Holocaust Memorial Day 2021 event to go ahead online
A spokesman for the Met Police said: “Officers investigating the murder of Stefan Appleton have arrest a 16-year-old boy in Ipswich.
“Officers from Suffolk Constabulary executed a warrant in Berners Street, Ipswich, and arrested a boy on suspicion of murder and possession of Class A drugs.
“He has been taken to a Suffolk police station where he remains in custody.”
Yesterday two 16-year-olds appeared at Highbury Corner Youth Court charged with the murder of Mr Appleton.
One of the teenagers was detained after officers raided an address in Holloway.
Three other 16-year-olds boys were arrested at the same address on suspicion of robbery and attempting to pervert the course of justice. They have been bailed until a date not yet set.