Brother of X Factor winner Alexandra Burke cleared of assaulting mum and sister
The brother of former X Factor winner Alexandra Burke was cleared of �assaulting the star’s mother and sister on Tuesday.
Aaron Burke, 19, was found not guilty on two counts of assault by beating at �Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court.
He was accused of pushing his mother Melissa Ewen, who suffers from kidney failure, at the family home in Bunning Way, Holloway, on December 5 last year.
He was also said to have hit sister Sheniece Burke in the face when she stepped in.
But the case was thrown out after Sheniece, the prosecution’s only witness, decided not to give evidence.
Prosecutor Qadeer Mirza said: “The witness does not wish to give evidence. She does not want to play any part in these proceedings.
“None of the family members is prepared to take part in these proceedings.”
- 1 40 firefighters called to scene as Highbury flat damaged
- 2 Gunners pub back open for Premier League climax
- 3 Man accused of sexual assaults in Camden and Islington bailed
- 4 'Wrong place, wrong time': Men convicted after fatal mistaken revenge shooting
- 5 12 stolen phones recovered after stop and search in Hackney
- 6 New community mural painted by residents unveiled in Stoke Newington
- 7 Jailed: Members of 'sophisticated' drugs crime gang sentenced
- 8 Thunderstorms to hit London this evening warns Met Office
- 9 Fast food chain Leon launches 80th restaurant in Angel
- 10 Call for fuel payment machines in Hackney and Islington
Alexandra, 23, a former �pupil at Elizabeth Garrett Anderson School in Donegal Street, Islington, won The X Factor contest in 2008.
Her mother Melissa was a singer with 1980s chart-toppers Soul II Soul.
Mr Burke, of York Road, Edmonton, denied the charges against him.
He was due to return to Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court today (Thursday) to be sentenced after he was convicted of using threatening behaviour against a hotel worker in a separate case.