Brother of X Factor winner Alexandra Burke cleared of assaulting mum and sister
The brother of former X Factor winner Alexandra Burke was cleared of �assaulting the star’s mother and sister on Tuesday.
Aaron Burke, 19, was found not guilty on two counts of assault by beating at �Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court.
He was accused of pushing his mother Melissa Ewen, who suffers from kidney failure, at the family home in Bunning Way, Holloway, on December 5 last year.
He was also said to have hit sister Sheniece Burke in the face when she stepped in.
But the case was thrown out after Sheniece, the prosecution’s only witness, decided not to give evidence.
You may also want to watch:
Prosecutor Qadeer Mirza said: “The witness does not wish to give evidence. She does not want to play any part in these proceedings.
“None of the family members is prepared to take part in these proceedings.”
- 1 New nightclub Glam to open in Shoreditch in June
- 2 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 3 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 4 Reader letters: Islington's Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - for and against
- 5 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 6 Crime plummeted in Islington during Covid pandemic, new figures reveal
- 7 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 8 Arsenal Women on cloud nine after big FA Cup win
- 9 David Dein: Former Arsenal chief shares top tips for success
- 10 Charity launches new campaign to eradicate food poverty in north London
Alexandra, 23, a former �pupil at Elizabeth Garrett Anderson School in Donegal Street, Islington, won The X Factor contest in 2008.
Her mother Melissa was a singer with 1980s chart-toppers Soul II Soul.
Mr Burke, of York Road, Edmonton, denied the charges against him.
He was due to return to Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court today (Thursday) to be sentenced after he was convicted of using threatening behaviour against a hotel worker in a separate case.