Brother of X Factor winner Alexandra Burke cleared of assaulting mum and sister
The brother of former X Factor winner Alexandra Burke was cleared of �assaulting the star’s mother and sister on Tuesday.
Aaron Burke, 19, was found not guilty on two counts of assault by beating at �Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court.
He was accused of pushing his mother Melissa Ewen, who suffers from kidney failure, at the family home in Bunning Way, Holloway, on December 5 last year.
He was also said to have hit sister Sheniece Burke in the face when she stepped in.
But the case was thrown out after Sheniece, the prosecution’s only witness, decided not to give evidence.
You may also want to watch:
Prosecutor Qadeer Mirza said: “The witness does not wish to give evidence. She does not want to play any part in these proceedings.
“None of the family members is prepared to take part in these proceedings.”
- 1 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 2 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 3 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 4 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 5 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 6 'No further action' after officer knelt on neck of Black suspect in Finsbury Park
- 7 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 8 Letters on low traffic neighbourhoods
- 9 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 10 Families of WW2 veterans join Jeremy Corbyn in presenting plaque
Alexandra, 23, a former �pupil at Elizabeth Garrett Anderson School in Donegal Street, Islington, won The X Factor contest in 2008.
Her mother Melissa was a singer with 1980s chart-toppers Soul II Soul.
Mr Burke, of York Road, Edmonton, denied the charges against him.
He was due to return to Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court today (Thursday) to be sentenced after he was convicted of using threatening behaviour against a hotel worker in a separate case.