Camden and Islington hospitals given dedicated police team
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
A team of police officers has been assigned a novel beat – Camden and Islington’s hospitals.
The trio, overseen by Sgt Paul Taylor, is exclusively attached to the Royal Free, Whittington, UCL and Great Ormond Street hospitals.
They will help shield staff from press during high-profile cases at Great Ormond Street, remove patients that refuse to be discharged, protect nurses from assault and even attend fetes and other community events.
Sgt Taylor said the team represents “a kind of neighbourhood policing” and was created to offer “reassurance”.
“The emphasis is on staff assaults and aggression against NHS workers,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“We want to provide a presence and a point of contact – a face the staff can get to know and trust – so we can make it easier for them to report things.”
He added that there has been no increase in hospital crime, but said: “Historically, NHS workers have just put up with it.
- 1 Islington mum speaks out about blaze that wrecked her 17th storey Old Street flat
- 2 Meet Islington's 2021 civic award winners
- 3 Finsbury Park drugs misuse centre put into special measures
- 4 Islington Council urges: 'Raise repairs before Partners hands back homes'
- 5 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 6 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 7 State-of-the-art £4m facility in pipeline for Islington Boxing Club
- 8 Man arrested after police officer hit by car in Dartmouth Park
- 9 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 10 Music production school leaves Abbey Road for move to Angel Studios
“But they don’t have to put up with it anymore.”
Begun on March 1, Sgt Taylor said the response from staff has been “nothing but positive” – but added that patients’ feelings are “much harder to measure”.
He said: “We are learning as we go along – finding out what they need and what we can provide.
“But it’s community policing. We want to be around for open days and fetes as well as being at A&E on weekends.
“We’re doing anything and everything.”
The team of hospital liaison officers includes PCs Panagopoulos, Harris and Drummond.