CCTV: Gun and knife duo brawl with Finsbury Park shopkeeper
Shock footage shows moment shop owners fight back against gunmen and knife-wielding thug.
A BRAVE father and son fought off a vicious duo armed with a handgun and knife who tried to rob their Finsbury Park shop.
Police have released startling CCTV footage of the two men brawling with the thugs who entered Gonca supermarket in Blackstock Road wearing masks and carrying weapons at around 9.45pm on Tuesday December 21.
The images capture the moment the brave 46-year-old and his son, aged 25, tried to fend off the robbers despite them being armed with a handgun and a large knife.
The gun was held to the shopkeeper’s head which prompted his son to race forward and tackle the robber.
Both suspects and victims were then involved in a struggle, with the knifeman repeatedly trying to stab the shopkeeper and the gunman pistol-whipping his son.
The fight spilled out into the street before the offenders eventually made off along Blackstock Road, turning right into Monsell Road.
- 1 Siblings open community-oriented park coffee hut
- 2 Old Bailey: Pair enter pleas over Alex Smith murder
- 3 Homes under the Planner: Schemes submitted or approved in Islington in June
- 4 Karate champion helps children to build confidence through martial arts
- 5 Islington men charged after jewellery store robbery
- 6 New Aldi on Old Street to open this month
- 7 Guilty: 4 teenagers admit 27 offences after series of 19 robberies
- 8 Man charged with 1974 murder of woman found in Highbury
- 9 CCTV: Woman sexually assaulted at Highbury & Islington station
- 10 Islington scammers jailed after preying on elderly victims
The robbers fled empty-handed leaving the victims cut and bruised and very lucky to have escaped more serious injury.
It is believed they may then have got into a dark-coloured Vauxhall Astra.
The first suspect, armed with the gun, is described as a light-skinned black man, aged about 20, slim and wearing a black balaclava, black bottoms, blue gloves and black trainers.
The second suspect, carrying the knife, was also black and aged about 20, wearing a black hooded top, black and white patterned bandana, black bottoms with two white horizontal stripes and white trainers.
The victims needed treatment at Homerton Hospital for their injuries.
The incident is being linked to an armed robbery which took place just minutes earlier at 9.37pm at My Shop, in Fortess Road, Kentish Town where they made off with �300 in cash.
DC Dawn Bolitho, from Finchley Flying Squad, said: “These are clearly men who are fully prepared to use violence and we would urge anyone with information to please contact us as soon as possible.
“The second suspect wore distinctive clothing and if you recognise it please come forward.”
Anyone with information is asked to please contact police on 020 8358 1751 or if you wish to remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.