CCTV image of suspects fleeing Canonbury murder on moped
- Credit: Archant
Pictures of suspected killer and his accomplice captured seconds after Stefan Appleton was stabbed
CCTV images of a murder suspect and his accomplice fleeing the scene of the stabbing in Canonbury on Wednesday have been released.
The image shows the passenger who is believed to have stabbed 18-year-old Stefan Appleton several times with a machete turning into Ashby Grove from Arran Walk just seconds after the attack took place at about 6pm.
Stefan, who had been in Nightingale Park with friends, was taken to a north London hospital where he was pronounced dead at 7.45pm.
From Ashby Grove the moped then road out on to Essex Road.
You may also want to watch:
The moped is small and dark in colour. It was displaying a learner plate which was located under a square vehicle registration plate. The moped also has a small Perspex visor.
Detective Chief Inspector Chris Jones, leading the investigation for the Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: “We are releasing this image in the hope that it will jog a memory or prick someone’s conscious, to coming forward and providing information that will assist us in finding Stefan’s killer(s).
- 1 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 2 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 3 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 4 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 5 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 6 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 7 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 8 Emirates to reopen for Covid jabs as council looks to entice residents
- 9 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 10 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
“The investigation is moving at a fast pace and we are grateful for the assistance we have received so far, but I would urge everyone to look at the image and call the incident room if they recall seeing it driving erratically on the day of the murder.
“I would also appeal to anyone who knows who rides or uses a moped like this to call us. Where is it now? Has it been parked or stored somewhere?”
Witnesses or anyone with information are asked to call the incident room on 020 8345 3734 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.