CCTV of robbers who stabbed footballers in Islington
Police have released CCTV of robbers who stabbed two teenagers and then called one of the victim’s mum bragging about the assault.
Detectives hope the footage will help identify the suspects involved in the attack in Lofting Road, Islington, on March 23.
A group of between four or five on bikes cycled onto the pitch and stole mobile phones from two boys, both aged 16, who were playing football.
One of the footballers suffered a stab wound to the chest area and the other was stabbed in his leg – however both made a full recovery. A third victim, also aged 16, was robbed but not injured.
Video of the incident, which occurred around 4pm, shows the gang cycling off towards Liverpool Road.
You may also want to watch:
Investigating officer Detective Constable Amakai Kefas said: “Two males from the group stabbed two of the victims without any provocation in what would seem a senseless attack. The CCTV images show the suspects as they make off after the assaults. One suspect callously called the victim’s mum on the stolen phone to tell her that her son had been stabbed. I am confident that someone out there will recognise them. If you think you know any of these suspects you can contact police in the strictest confidence.”
The suspects are described as black and mixed race boys aged between 16 and 19 and wearing dark clothing.
- 1 Tributes paid to Islington student fatally stabbed in Tottenham
- 2 Thousands back petition for exemptions in Highbury People Friendly Streets
- 3 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 4 Islington man sentenced for antisemitic graffiti in Stamford Hill
- 5 Two 16-year-olds charged with murder of Islington student
- 6 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 7 Number of Islington opiate addicts seeking help doubles during lockdown
- 8 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 9 Arsenal fan's search for every Highbury Stadium match since 1940s
- 10 Arsenal look to bounce back at home to West Ham
All of them were on mountain bikes. One is described as black, 6 ft tall, of a thin build with ear length dreadlocks. At the time he wore a black coat and grey Adidas jogging bottoms
Anyone with information that can help this investigation should call Islington Robbery Squad on 020 7421 0246 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.