Chair of Islington’s Stop and Search Monitoring Group launches Auntee advice project for young men
- Credit: Archant
Young men with concerns about stop and search tactics are being offered one-to-one meetings teaching them about their rights.
The Auntee project has been launched by Sheri Lawal, who chairs Islington's Stop and Search Monitoring Group.
Anyone who wants to sign up will be given an initial email contact that can be followed up with meetings to discuss the controversial police tactic.
Sheri said: "We are delivering this project so that people know the reasons why the police may stop them and what to do if they are not happy with the stop and search and feel that they have been treated unfairly.
"Auntee is offering one-to-one support for anyone who has concerns."
You may also want to watch:
Although many stop and searches result in nothing being found and no action being taken, the most recent review of stop and search records nationally found that in 15 percent of stops there were no reasonable grounds for a search given.
Auntee meetings last for one to two hours. The first part includes a discussion around stop and search and the Auntee workshop. The second part involves coaching, mentoring and advice.
- 1 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 2 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 3 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 4 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 5 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 6 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 7 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 8 Emirates to reopen for Covid jabs as council looks to entice residents
- 9 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 10 Two men jailed for life after double murder
The project has been well received and is now looking to expand so it can be rolled out to a wider area.
Anyone with concerns can contact Auntee at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.