Clerkenwell charity helps reclaim park from gangs
Maisie Collin-Khouani, director of Three Corners Trust, helps Cheyenne Scott, 11, celebrate her outstanding player award at the launch of the newly built Spa fields Basketball Court, in Northampton Road, Clerkenwell on Thursday.
The event saw young people from Clerkenwell show off their B-ball skills and win prizes at the new �20,000 facility, which also features street art from creative local youngsters around the theme of reaching for your dreams.
The kids also received professional coaching from London basketball, who will be offering free session every Wednesday at Spa Fields.
The court was made possible by the tireless work of Miss Collin-Khouani and the Three Corners Trust, who petitioned EC1 New Deal for Communities and Islington Council for the necessary money.
Miss Collin-Khouani said: “This area had a lot of anti-social behaviour, a lot of drug dealing and a lot of gang-related behaviour. We wanted to reclaim the park for young people and children to enjoy.
You may also want to watch:
“Although it was tiring as I am five-months pregnant, the day was excellent, I am really chuffed. The young people had a great time, and some of them turned up just to help, which was lovely. To have them come and to offer to just sit there handing out leaflets was really special.”
- 1 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 2 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 3 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 4 Kentish Town teen creates football team to 'bring community together'
- 5 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?
- 6 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 7 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 8 Club Curling comes to Coal Drops Yard in King’s Cross
- 9 'Exceptional' heroes granted Islington's highest award, the 'Freedom of the Borough'
- 10 Clerkenwell fire: Margery Street office block blaze under investigation