Clerkenwell murder: Man bailed after New Year’s Day shooting
The man arrested following a fatal shooting in Clerkenwell on New Year’s Day has been released on bail.
The 22-year-old suspect, who had been detained on January 2, will return to to the police station on March 6, pending further enquiries.
The victim, Aaron McKoy, from Hackney, was gunned down in Portpool Lane at around 4am on January 1, just hours into the new year.
Mr McKoy was also been celebrating his 22nd birthday when he was shot in the chest.
Police say he had been in the Clerkenwell House Wine Bar, in Hatton Wall, prior to his killing, where he may have been involved in an altercation.
You may also want to watch:
Det Ch Insp John Crossley said: “The venue was very busy going into the early hours of New Year’s Day and we are extremely keen to talk to anyone who was in attendance. We believe the victim was involved in an incident in the venue and that this may have been the prompt for his killing.
“If you were there and noticed a dispute taking place I would urge you to get in touch as soon as possible, to enable us to bring those responsible to justice.”
- 1 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 2 Police search for suspects after teen stabbed in the face in the Cally
- 3 Council tax set to rise amid 'hand-to-mouth' Covid-19 government funding
- 4 Student on 'emotional' first day giving Covid jab to NHS workers
- 5 Hospital staff describe 'distressing' battle against rising Covid cases
- 6 Arsenal Women trio issue apology to team mates following Dubai trip
- 7 Call for tech donations to tackle digital divide in students
- 8 Did Islington house prices rise by 13% in 2020?
- 9 E-fit appeal after teen partially blinded in Canonbury Road baton attack
- 10 Corporation Street fight: Boy, 15, stabbed in the face in the Cally
He also asked businesses in the area with CCTV to get in contact urgently so footage can be reviewed.
A suspect may have fled down Leather Lane.
Anyone with information can call 020 8733 4212 with information, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.