Clerkenwell murder: Man bailed after New Year’s Day shooting
The man arrested following a fatal shooting in Clerkenwell on New Year’s Day has been released on bail.
The 22-year-old suspect, who had been detained on January 2, will return to to the police station on March 6, pending further enquiries.
The victim, Aaron McKoy, from Hackney, was gunned down in Portpool Lane at around 4am on January 1, just hours into the new year.
Mr McKoy was also been celebrating his 22nd birthday when he was shot in the chest.
Police say he had been in the Clerkenwell House Wine Bar, in Hatton Wall, prior to his killing, where he may have been involved in an altercation.
You may also want to watch:
Det Ch Insp John Crossley said: “The venue was very busy going into the early hours of New Year’s Day and we are extremely keen to talk to anyone who was in attendance. We believe the victim was involved in an incident in the venue and that this may have been the prompt for his killing.
“If you were there and noticed a dispute taking place I would urge you to get in touch as soon as possible, to enable us to bring those responsible to justice.”
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 3 Islington and Camden police chief to leave Met after 29 years
- 4 Two Tube lines closed after 10pm as TfL staff isolate due to Covid
- 5 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 6 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 7 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 8 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 9 Letters: Holloway Prison site development
- 10 Two men jailed for life after double murder
He also asked businesses in the area with CCTV to get in contact urgently so footage can be reviewed.
A suspect may have fled down Leather Lane.
Anyone with information can call 020 8733 4212 with information, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.