Clerkenwell robber caught by delivery driver jailed
A robber caught by a have-a-go-hero shortly after stealing a phone from a woman has been jailed.
Andre Hendon, 22, of Malta Street, Clerkenwell, has been sentenced at Blackfriars Crown Court on June 20 after pleading guilty to theft.
Hendon snatched an Iphone from a 31-year-old woman in Lever Street, Clerkenwell, on May 18 before riding off on his bike. Kent-based delivery driver Mark Tomlinson-Alan witnessed the incident, stopped his truck and chased after the thief on foot.
Mr Tomlinson-Alan, 34, cornered Hendon by a block of flats and pinned him on the floor until police arrived.
He said: “It was just a case of me being in the right place at the right time for that girl, but it didn’t matter who it was I still would have helped them. It is not right that we work hard to get these things and then someone can just steal them. It was an instinctive reaction to stop him. I just didn’t want him to get away with it.”
You may also want to watch:
Detective Sergeant Harry Kooner, part of the team which investigated this case, said: “I am pleased for the victim that in this case her phone was returned to her thanks to the commendable actions of Mr Tomlinson-Alan. However there are other robbers who are out there looking for opportunities to steal high value smart phones, so we urge people to please be vigilant when using these in public.”
Hendon has been sentenced to 12 months imprisonment. He received three months for the theft to be served on top of a nine month sentence for breach of an earlier suspended sentence.
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 3 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 4 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 5 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 6 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 7 Almost 5,000 Islington people pinged by Covid app in one week
- 8 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 9 New pub opens in place of The Monarch in Chalk Farm Road
- 10 Two men jailed for life after double murder