Councillor’s phone snatched outside Islington Town Hall
- Credit: Archant
An Islington Councillor has said thieves in the borough snatching phones “have no fear” – after she was robbed outside the town hall.
Cllr Claudia Webbe, executive member for environment and transport and ward councillor for the Bunhill area, had her iPhone snatched at 11pm on Tuesday when a male on a push bike mounted the pavement.
She says that before she could get a look at the thief he had ridden off.
“It’s terrible, she said.
“I was outside the town hall on Tuesday night at about 11pm. Someone on a bicycle just mounted the curb and snatched my iPhone and rode off.
“I think these are people that clearly have no fear. I was on Upper Street, the most policed area of Islington with the most CCTV, and there’s still no fear that they will get caught.
“It must happen all the time, all you see is the back of somebody’s head.”
- 1 When the Arsenal team had tea with the Queen in Buckingham Palace
- 2 Missing: 29-year-old Islington woman found 'safe and well'
- 3 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 4 'Wrong place, wrong time': Men convicted after fatal mistaken revenge shooting
- 5 New cabinet announced for Islington Council
- 6 Appeal hearing of MP Claudia Webbe gets under way
- 7 Jailed: Members of 'sophisticated' drugs crime gang sentenced
- 8 40 firefighters called to scene as Highbury flat damaged
- 9 Travel bulletin: Islington, Hackney, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 10 Gunners pub back open for Premier League climax
Cllr Webbe is just one of the latest in a spate of victims of the crime which includes a pregnant woman who broke her arm when she was dragged to the ground when her phone was snatched on Saturday.
The councillor was able to “hop in” to a nearby police car but when the officers tried to use the “find my phone” feature enabled on her iPhone the thief had already switched the phone off.
Police confirmed they were investigating the incident but said that no arrests had been made.