Councillor’s phone snatched outside Islington Town Hall
- Credit: Archant
An Islington Councillor has said thieves in the borough snatching phones “have no fear” – after she was robbed outside the town hall.
Cllr Claudia Webbe, executive member for environment and transport and ward councillor for the Bunhill area, had her iPhone snatched at 11pm on Tuesday when a male on a push bike mounted the pavement.
She says that before she could get a look at the thief he had ridden off.
“It’s terrible, she said.
“I was outside the town hall on Tuesday night at about 11pm. Someone on a bicycle just mounted the curb and snatched my iPhone and rode off.
You may also want to watch:
“I think these are people that clearly have no fear. I was on Upper Street, the most policed area of Islington with the most CCTV, and there’s still no fear that they will get caught.
“It must happen all the time, all you see is the back of somebody’s head.”
- 1 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 2 'Good Samaritan' chased off random attacker who hit woman
- 3 Thornhill School's 'dream' library opens after parents' 'relentless' fundraising efforts
- 4 Drugs and cash seized in multi-force police op
- 5 Campaigners debate future of Holloway Women's Building with Peabody Trust
- 6 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 7 Islington's great beer gardens - reopening today
- 8 Bunhill by-election set to go-ahead following Claudia Webbe's resignation
- 9 Can you help identify this man?
- 10 Canonbury landlords defy pandemic to launch new pub
Cllr Webbe is just one of the latest in a spate of victims of the crime which includes a pregnant woman who broke her arm when she was dragged to the ground when her phone was snatched on Saturday.
The councillor was able to “hop in” to a nearby police car but when the officers tried to use the “find my phone” feature enabled on her iPhone the thief had already switched the phone off.
Police confirmed they were investigating the incident but said that no arrests had been made.