Nando’s fined more than £730 for dumping rubbish outside Upper Street restaurant
- Credit: Archant
Nando’s has been fined more than £700 for dumping rubbish outside its Upper Street eatery.
Magistrates at Highbury Corner heard Islington Council officers had spotted the rubbish bag outside on Wednesday May 15. According to the council's solicitor Melanie Lee, inside the bag was Nando's branded tissues, toothpicks, receipts and paperwork.
They took photos and billed the chain, which failed to respond, even when the town hall gave it an extra 21 days to comply. On Thursday Ms Lee told the court: "It's a very large bag on a very busty street at a very busy time. It is clear that it's a business that's not lacking in funds."
Nando's Chickenland Ltd, which has more than 1,000 outlets in 35 countries did not enter a plea and was not represented in court.
Magistrates Ian Spurr and Don Brown told the company to pay a total of £734. This includes £500 in compensation, along with a £50 victim surcharge and £184 in court costs.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Claudia Webbe, the council's environment chief said: "The vast majority of people who live and work in Islington want to keep our streets clean and take great pride in keeping our borough beautiful. Apart from being unsightly, littering and fly-tipping can be hazardous and even attract pests such as rats and mice. As a borough, we will simply not accept this and will take firm action to deter this serious and selfish behaviour."
Nando's did not respond to our request for comment.
- 1 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 2 Archway man jailed after causing 'totally avoidable' crash
- 3 Countryside walking would be lovely - but the city has much to offer
- 4 High Court ruling 'will not directly impact' People Friendly Streets
- 5 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 6 Two 16-year-olds charged with murder of Islington student
- 7 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 8 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 9 Tributes paid to Islington student fatally stabbed in Tottenham
- 10 Teaching mentor comes 'full circle' working at Islington school