Cyclists robbed at knifepoint in Finsbury Park
- Credit: Archant
Three people were robbed at knifepoint while cycling through Finsbury Park on Monday night.
Two teenagers have been arrested on suspicion of robbery over the attacks, which saw the victims have their phones and bank cards stolen.
Police were called at 7.50pm to reports of multiple people being targeted in the park by the Seven Sisters Road entrance, a spot known for its rampant drug dealing.
In 2017 police said their ability to stop criminals using the park was limited because a lack of staff meant the gates couldn’t be closed at night and there were only two officers patrolling the area.
Police at the time said they were in the process of trying to have the Stroud Green Road gate closed at dusk, but that has still not happened.
Months after that claim Iuliana Tudos was murdered in the park on Christmas Eve while walking to her home in Upper Tollington Park.
You may also want to watch:
The 22-year-old barmaid’s death sparked a campaign by her friends and worried locals for the park to be locked at night.
Police audited the park and made formal recommendations to Haringey Council to lock it up and increase the lighting, but nothing was done and a woman was raped near the Seven Sisters Road gate in July.
Haringey in December said it was exploring employing a park ranger and two wardens. In the meantime it said workers would be “cutting back foliage and lifting tree and shrub canopies” to make the park safer.
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 3 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 4 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 5 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 6 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 7 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 8 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 9 New pub opens in place of The Monarch in Chalk Farm Road
- 10 Mum-of-two 'loses everything' in Islington fire