Jailed: Drug dealer who posted LOADED GUN through letterbox during Newington Green police chase
- Credit: Archant
A drug dealing teenager who posted a loaded gun through a letterbox while trying to get away from police has been sentenced to seven years in a young offenders institute.
Cops chased Hugo Borges, 18, through the streets of Newington Green on November 29 after asking him to stop riding his bicycle, which he didn’t.
Pc Jack Hardwick, who was also on a bike, saw Borges post the weapon into a house and caught up with him a short while later. Although he had discarded the gun, he still had more than 50 wraps of crack cocaine and 35 wraps of heroin on him.
The boy, from Islington, was sentenced at Blackfriars Crown Court today after admitting possession of a prohibited weapon, possession of ammunition without a certificate, and two counts of possession of a controlled drug with intent to supply.
Det Const Grace Milner said: “Borges is today starting a lengthy prison sentence having been left with no option but to plead guilty to these serious offences.
You may also want to watch:
“His arrest, and the recovery of both a firearm and class A drugs, was down to the intuition of two of my colleagues who were on the estate as part of the borough’s commitment to providing our residents with visible patrols.
“I would encourage anyone who has information regarding the supply of drugs or the possession or firearms to contact police with their concerns, so that appropriate action can be taken against the criminals involved.”
- 1 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 2 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 3 'No further action' after officer knelt on neck of Black suspect in Finsbury Park
- 4 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 5 Letters on low traffic neighbourhoods
- 6 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 7 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?
- 8 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 9 Finsbury Park to get its own Pokémon-GO style story
- 10 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
The gun had been converted from a blank-firing pistol, and loaded with ammunition.
A second man was charged and two others arrested in connection with the incident. All three are still on police bail.