Essex Road crash: Fifth arrest after car ‘ploughs into revellers’ outside the Old Queen’s Head
- Credit: Shulem Stern on Twitter)
A fifth person has been arrested after a car ploughed into a group of people queuing outside the Old Queen’s Head in Essex Road on Saturday night.
Horrified witnesses saw the car swerve around the corner from Cross Street and crash into people waiting outside the pub just after 11pm.
Jade Barlow posted on Twitter: “An abandoned knife and a handful of mowed down casualties.”
Police were quick to reassure the public that the incident - which happened three days after a driver mounted a pavement at Westminter injuring 50 people and killing four - was not being treated as terror-related.
Yesterday police revealed they had been called to reports of an attempted robbery in Cross Street at 10.55pm just before the crash, but any suspects had fled the area by the time they arrived.
You may also want to watch:
Two women and a man injured by the car were given first aid at the scene by police officers until the arrival of the London Ambulance Service.
They were rushed to hospital where two of them remain – but their injuries are not life threatening.
- 1 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 2 Stunning photos show how King's Cross has changed in 20 years
- 3 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 4 'Unbelievably awful’ - North London MPs react to David Amess stabbing
- 5 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 6 Jeremy Corbyn to hold ‘alternative Cop26’ in Scotland
- 7 'I’m not mad. I’m an MP': Claudia Webbe harassment trial continues
- 8 Helen Anderson: CCTV appeal to trace witnesses to Finsbury Park mum's murder
- 9 E-scooter rider suffers head injuries in Holloway Road crash
- 10 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
A fourth person was treated at the scene for minor injuries.
The car’s occupants fled the scene on foot and were chased by police officers.
They arrested four youths, aged between 17 and 19, on suspicion ofv offences including GBH with intent, robbery and possession of points and blades. They remain in custody.
A fifth male was arrested yesterday afternoon and is also in custody.
The incident has been referred to the Met’s professional standard’s agency, the Directorate of Professional Standards, because officers were already in the area of the collision when it happened.
Officers want to hear from anyone who witnessed either incident.
Supt Peter Gardner said: “This is a complicated incident involving a number of suspects. We are continuing to question those we have detained and are appealing for information and witnesses to piece together the events of the evening.
“We know that a group of people were outside the busy pub in a popular part of London at the time of the collision. If you were there or saw anything in and around the area at the time, however insignificant you may feel it is, I would urge you to contact investigators.
“I would like to praise the actions of our officers who dealt with a traumatic incident and displayed remarkable courage and professionalism.”
Any witnesses or anyone with information can call police on 101, or to give information anonymously contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.