Essex Road crash: ‘I left pub and saw bodies on the floor’
- Credit: Shulem Stern on Twitter)
Bodies were strewn over the pavement after a car ploughed into pedestrians in Essex Road on Saturday night, a pubgoer said.
Cassandra Mill, 29, had been enjoying a night out in the Old Queen’s Head when the car lost control just after 11pm.
Ms Mill left the pub just after the crash, and told the Gazette this afternoon: “I walked outside and there were just loads of police cars and ambulances around. I looked to the right and bodies were on the floor, sealed off in a cordon. It looked like they weren’t moving at all. They were covered in protective blankets.
“People were just really scared, trying to get away from the area. With what happened earlier in the week at Westminster, everyone was obviously worried it was another terrorist incident. I was the same, I just wanted to get out of there.
“There were a dozen police cars there already, and about four ambulances. I had never seen anything like it before. The funny thing is, people weren’t aware of it inside the pub. Everyone was completely oblivious.”
You may also want to watch:
One female and two males were taken to hospital. Their injuries were not life threatening and one has already been discharged.
The Met ruled out the incident being terror-related immediately after it happened. Five males, aged between 17 and 19, were arrested on suspicion of offences including grievous bodily harm with intent, robbery and possession of points and blades. They all remain in custody.
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 3 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 4 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 5 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 6 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 7 Jungle Cruise (12A)
- 8 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 9 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 10 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?