Essex Road moped phone snatches: Crooks strike 24 victims in the space of an HOUR
- Credit: Archant
Moped crooks preyed on 24 victims in the space of an hour around Essex Road last night.
Police were initially called at about 5pm when a woman reported four people on two mopeds had stolen her mobile phone in Essex Road.
Officers were called to further incidents, and have since established there were at least 24 victims – none of whom was hurt.
The cops were eventually authorised to deploy a “stinger” tyre deflation device, which brought one of the mopeds to a halt. The suspects fled on foot but officers were able to recover the moped, which is currently being forensically examined.
A tweet from Islington Police’s official feed said the incidents happened in the space of an hour.
You may also want to watch:
Det Insp Greg Coates said: “I am appealing for anyone who saw any of these thefts to contact police. I would also like to hear from anyone who may have filmed the offences on their mobile phones or dashcams to come forward.”
Of the stinger, he added: “Last night, we successfully deployed a stinger and were able to recover one of the mopeds. This is a new tactic that has been rolled out across London as part of our continued efforts to tackle scooter-enabled crime.”
- 1 'Good Samaritan' chased off random attacker who hit woman
- 2 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 3 Thornhill School's 'dream' library opens after parents' 'relentless' fundraising efforts
- 4 Islington's great beer gardens - reopening today
- 5 Islington arts groups get £6.6m government Covid boost
- 6 Campaigners debate future of Holloway Women's Building with Peabody Trust
- 7 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 8 Drugs and cash seized in multi-force police op
- 9 Bunhill by-election set to go-ahead following Claudia Webbe's resignation
- 10 Can you help identify this man?
Anyone with information is asked to call the Met’s anti-moped crime Operation Attrition base at Islington police station on 101.