Essex Road moped phone snatches: Crooks strike 24 victims in the space of an HOUR
- Credit: Archant
Moped crooks preyed on 24 victims in the space of an hour around Essex Road last night.
Police were initially called at about 5pm when a woman reported four people on two mopeds had stolen her mobile phone in Essex Road.
Officers were called to further incidents, and have since established there were at least 24 victims – none of whom was hurt.
The cops were eventually authorised to deploy a “stinger” tyre deflation device, which brought one of the mopeds to a halt. The suspects fled on foot but officers were able to recover the moped, which is currently being forensically examined.
A tweet from Islington Police’s official feed said the incidents happened in the space of an hour.
You may also want to watch:
Det Insp Greg Coates said: “I am appealing for anyone who saw any of these thefts to contact police. I would also like to hear from anyone who may have filmed the offences on their mobile phones or dashcams to come forward.”
Of the stinger, he added: “Last night, we successfully deployed a stinger and were able to recover one of the mopeds. This is a new tactic that has been rolled out across London as part of our continued efforts to tackle scooter-enabled crime.”
- 1 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 2 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 3 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 4 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 5 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 6 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 7 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 8 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 9 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 10 Mum-of-two 'loses everything' in Islington fire
Anyone with information is asked to call the Met’s anti-moped crime Operation Attrition base at Islington police station on 101.