Essex Road moped phone snatches: Crooks strike 24 victims in the space of an HOUR
- Credit: Archant
Moped crooks preyed on 24 victims in the space of an hour around Essex Road last night.
Police were initially called at about 5pm when a woman reported four people on two mopeds had stolen her mobile phone in Essex Road.
Officers were called to further incidents, and have since established there were at least 24 victims – none of whom was hurt.
The cops were eventually authorised to deploy a “stinger” tyre deflation device, which brought one of the mopeds to a halt. The suspects fled on foot but officers were able to recover the moped, which is currently being forensically examined.
A tweet from Islington Police’s official feed said the incidents happened in the space of an hour.
You may also want to watch:
Det Insp Greg Coates said: “I am appealing for anyone who saw any of these thefts to contact police. I would also like to hear from anyone who may have filmed the offences on their mobile phones or dashcams to come forward.”
Of the stinger, he added: “Last night, we successfully deployed a stinger and were able to recover one of the mopeds. This is a new tactic that has been rolled out across London as part of our continued efforts to tackle scooter-enabled crime.”
- 1 Archway murder investigation launched as 15-year-old victim named
- 2 Archway stabbing: 16-year-old arrested on suspicion of murder
- 3 Islington man sentenced after spate of motorbike and bike thefts
- 4 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 5 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 6 Barnsbury homes evacuated after burst Thames Water pipe floods basements
- 7 Archway man jailed after causing 'totally avoidable' crash
- 8 Tributes paid to Islington student fatally stabbed in Tottenham
- 9 Two 16-year-olds charged with murder of Islington student
- 10 Angel Comedy Club launches mockumentary series to save venue
Anyone with information is asked to call the Met’s anti-moped crime Operation Attrition base at Islington police station on 101.