Essex Road shooting: Armed police called in after gunman opens fire
- Credit: Archant
Two people were injured after a gunman opened fire in Essex Road last night.
Witnesses reported seeing people run from the scene after several shots were fired near The Green Man pub at about 9.30pm.
A 34-year-old woman was taken to hospital with a cut to her hand caused by shattered glass and a man, 40, suffered minor injuries.
A bus, taxi and shop window were all left with bullet holes after the shooting and armed police were called in to investigate.
Officers believe the gunman ran off after pulling the trigger.
You may also want to watch:
Jamie Goddard, a ticket officer, was standing outside Essex Road station when he heard multiple gun shots.
Jamie recognised the sound of gunfire straight away because he used to be a soldier.
- 1 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 2 State-of-the-art £4m facility in pipeline for Islington Boxing Club
- 3 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 4 Man arrested after police officer hit by car in Dartmouth Park
- 5 Police officer hospitalised after Dartmouth Park Hill hit-and-run
- 6 Newington Green's Meeting House to stream concert series for Mary Wollstonecraft's 262nd Birthday
- 7 Highbury performer marks World Burlesque Day with free classes
- 8 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 9 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed
- 10 Elthorne Pride community group's back-to-school initiative
He told the Gazette: “I heard five or six gunshots and there were about 15 people running down the road towards me. Running away from the bullets.
“Some people came into the station so I hid them in the staff area because I didn’t know what was happening.
“I was just trying to help people escape from harm’s way.”
A witness said on Twitter a man in a balaclava shot “about six times” at another man he had chased into the road.
“He just stood in the middle of the road shot like 6 times so calmly,” they said.
Another Twitter user, Kien Tan, wrote: “From the 38 bus, we heard gunshots and saw people running from Essex Road N1 just after 9.30. Stay safe Islington.”
The road was taped off and police remained at the scene into the early hours of this morning.
Jorge Pachero, 39, is the owner of Taste of India restaurant. He told the Gazette this morning: “I heard a shooting and some people running that way [towards River Place]. A couple of guys, but I didn’t know if they were people passing by.
“When I came out I saw a girl running from the car to the shop and she was bleeding.”
No arrests have been made.