Ex-Arsenal defender reunited with Rolex
�Former Arsenal star Lauren was reunited with a Rolex watch stolen six years ago with the help of his former employers this week – as police officers turned to the web to help other victims of theft.
The former right-back, a key member of the “Invincibles” side that went through the 2003-2004 season unbeaten, jetted into the capital to pick up his Rolex Daytona – thought worth about �6,000 – on Monday.
It was recovered in a police raid after being stolen in a burlary at his home in 2005, during the Cameroonian’s six-year stint with the Gunners. The club helped track down the retired footballer, real name Laureano Bisan-Etame Mayer.
The watch was seized in raids in Essex and east London which turned up high-value and collectable goods worth more than �500,000 in all, including jewellery, antiques and silverware, along with several air rifles and a pump action rifle.
You may also want to watch:
Officers say many of the items were stolen in armed robberies on jewellers, household burglaries and thefts between 1994 and 2010 across south-east England.
They have set up an online gallery on the website Flickr with more than 200 photos of the stolen goods, so people can try to identify anything that might belong to them. The gallery is Tower Hamlets – Operation Avitus.
- 1 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 2 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 3 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 4 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 7 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 8 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 9 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 10 Parliament Square demo: Protesters call on government to end cladding crisis
A 73-year-old man has been arrested for handling stolen goods and has been bailed to return to an east London police station in December pending further inquiries.